Talk

Advanced search

Moving to...Cockermouth?

(4 Posts)
NKfell Fri 16-Jan-15 14:58:00

I live in Keswick but now I need an extra bedroom so I need to move, unfortunately I just can't afford to stay here so...Cockermouth?

Bassenthwaite would have been ideal but there's nothing coming up in price range. I'm a country girl so I'm a bit apprehensive of proper town living!

I'm wondering if I'm missing something? Where else would be affordable?(and a flat/house and not falling apart- I saw an outer shell and a plot of land I could afford!)- as close to Keswick as possible so I'm near my family.

happyincumbria Sun 08-Feb-15 22:29:13

I've just come across this so hope the advice isn't too late. I'd say: just do it! Cockermouth is a brilliant little place - I don't know what age you are but there's plenty to do and see, a decent range of bars and restaurants and getting better, little theatre, good schools, affordable housing (though more expensive than West Coast). We've been here 20+ years and never looked back. For this area, there's also a diverse range of people so you have the best of both worlds - not Hicksville but not scary urban living. If you want the 'country' thing, I certainly wouldn't be afraid of Cockermouth though there are plenty of pleasant villages nearby which I would imagine are cheaper than Bassenthwite - Papcastle (though not much land available), Embleton, Brigham, Eaglesfield and a few of the places up the Carlisle road way such as Bothel, Sunderland etc. I love Keswick, but I would perhaps be so bold to say that Cockermouth has a better community spirit as there is less influence of a transient community such as second home-owners, tourists etc. Good luck!

NKfell Tue 10-Mar-15 16:01:36

I've lived in Keswick all my life so it's just a bit scary the thought of moving somewhere new!

I go to Cockermouth for shopping and have a couple of friends there. It's easy to get to so it does seem the best choice.

I love what the tourists and second home owners bring to my town, I just hate how they drive the costs of living up. Also, seeing so many empty houses makes my blood boil but, I digress!

NKFell Mon 24-Jul-17 17:25:51

Hey just saw my old thread- in case anyone has the same dilemma...I didn't move! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: