Advanced search

Midwifery Researcher wants YOUR views on how she can best conduct her labour room research in an unobtrusive way.

(3 Posts)
LocalEditorNorfolk Tue 13-Jan-15 12:38:29

Dear all,

Please see below an enquiry Mumsnet has received from a researcher who is keen to get feedback from Mumsnetters. Please add any feedback you may have; this will help her plan her research. Many thanks, Mumsnet Norfolk.

I am a Norfolk midwife undertaking research for a PhD at the UEA. My Research will take the form of case studies of two midwifery led birth units, looking specifically at midwifery practice in these units. Neither will be in Norfolk. I will be obtaining full clearance from an Ethics Committee and from the Birth Units themselves before I begin the study, and women and midwives will have to give voluntary consent to take part.

I recognise that having a researcher in the birthing room may cause distraction and disturbance so would like to minimise this. I will not be participating in care. I will be observing.

My questions are:

How can I cause as little disruption as possible? Where should I place myself in the birthing room? Would it matter whether I used pen and paper or an electronic tablet to record what I observe? How could I ensure I do not interfere in the relationship between women and midwife?

lljkk Fri 30-Jan-15 14:15:57

I think just be friendly & someone to chat to.
Problem is that MWs usually come & go during labour, so if you stay, you'll be the only person there possibly alone with mother +partner. Being a support just by being sympathetic or someone friendly to chat to between ctx could be very nice. Could make yourself useful by offering to get culpas or fetch MW.

For me, in full labour, I would barely notice you were there.

milkcookies Fri 30-Jan-15 14:44:51

I think you should join the room when the woman is full on in labour and not in early stages. In the early stages it would have bothered me, but not when I was on gas and air (I was so out if it).

Definitely don't use a digital device to record your findings unless it was just audio. I would worry you might be taking pictures or a video of me.

I think you should ask the lead midwife to ask consent on your behalf, you are much more likely to get consent that way.

Also you might be more likely to get people's consent if you are in a hospital that has a strong culture of research. An example would be Addenbrookes in Cambridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now