Talk

Advanced search

Night in Stirling

(4 Posts)
GrooveeCar Sat 10-Jan-15 15:51:29

Hi there

My dh and I are having a night away to Stirling. We need sometime to ourselves. We booked the Premier Inn which is close to the station. A quick Google shows we can walk to the Thistle Centre and we have Vue nearby with a place called Gabes Diner and I think a Frankie and Benny's.

Just wondered if there is anything nearby which we should do or any recommendatioms? I have mobility problems which means one day I can happily walk one day but may struggle on another.

Thanks xx

CLJ52 Mon 12-Jan-15 23:33:02

welcome to Stirling!

Gabes Diner is very good. Looks like a ticket office but quite a nice little restaurant. You can also take your wine although there is a corkage charge.

You can walk to the town centre (Thistle and Marches) but you have to go over a bridge and sometimes the lifts don't work. It's a long way round if you have to avoid stairs.

I think you should be able to get the Park and Ride from Forthside up to the Castle, and even if you don't go in, you'll get some tremendous views from the top of the town. It is walkable but a steep hill.

On the way up you'll pass the Stirling Highland Hotel. It has the most amazing observatory that is not owned by the hotel, but by the Stirling Astronomical Society. I did a tour recently and the lovely gentleman said they're more than happy to show people around if they're in. There are a few stairs though.

Just down from the castle is the Settle Inn - the oldest pub in Stirling - nice atmosphere. A new Wetherspoons has opened just down from the castle which seems to be the current hot spot.

Slightly further out the Smith Gallery is worth a visit. Different exhibitions on and a lovely little cafe with fantastic soup.

Enjoy your stay!

GrooveeCar Thu 15-Jan-15 17:43:16

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated x

soontobeslendergirl Fri 23-Jan-15 19:02:00

Toast which is just opposite the Premier Inn is very good (cafe).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: