Talk

Advanced search

trying to decide between culceth and appleton

(7 Posts)
MamaAvery Tue 09-Sep-14 18:44:20

Hi, I am mum to 2 teens aged 13 and 17 and 2 little boys aged 5 and 2! We have put our house in Sale Cheshire on the market as we are desperate to get away from some of the rogues my eldest son has befriended and also hanker after a more semi rural area. I would still like the kids to be able to walk to school though and would like to have a village to stroll into on my days off. I work as a nurse at Wythenshawe hospital so need to be able to commute however. My main fear is moving out of the frying pan into the fire! I have no idea what these areas are like with regards to whether there is a lot of anti social behaviour etc. I love lymm but need a house far bigger than I could afford there,
I have seen a couple of houses, 1 at Waterside in Appleton and 1 at Sempher drive in Culcheth- any advice would be most appreciated! Are these areas nice and which is nicer??

Lollypops20181 Tue 09-Sep-14 18:57:58

I think they're both ok, but one thing I would consider is public transport.

An advantage of Sale is that it has (& youll be used to) great transport links - the older your boys get, the more independent they'll want to be (& I doubt you'll want to be driving them around everywhere) - I'm not sure about Appleton, but I don't think the public transport links are that great in culcheth.

I'd also think about schools, at least for the younger one.

LadyMud Tue 09-Sep-14 19:01:27

Culcheth High School is losing it's sixth form, whereas in Appleton/Stockton Heath you'll be very close to Priestley College, as well as Bridgewater High School. That's probably a major factor for your family!

LadyMud Tue 09-Sep-14 19:08:30

Sempher Drive - whereabouts is that? [nosy]

MamaAvery Tue 09-Sep-14 19:24:15

sorry its Sephton Avenue! Yes I haven't considered that, easy to take that kind of thing for granted really. Are the primary schools not so good in Culcheth then?

My main concern is that is a safe place to raise kids, have learnt from experience that at a certain age no matter how well you have brought them up they heavily influenced by other kids! need a quieter area really.

LadyMud Tue 09-Sep-14 19:34:34

Culcheth is a relatively small "self-contained" boring village, but perhaps too close to Leigh for your DS.

Waterside is very close to Stockton Heath, which has a lively evening economy (lots of wine bars, etc).

Sorry, I don't know about primary schools , or facilities such as youth clubs.

MamaAvery Tue 09-Sep-14 21:37:16

Thanks guys, any suggestions on other areas to consider most welcome, semi rural ish, safe for kids with a community feel, also with a budget of £250k max a fighting chance of either creating a 4 bed from a house costing £220 or less or a 4 bed house.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: