Advanced search

Anyone in Acton? Moving to start a family

(7 Posts)
Sweets27 Mon 08-Sep-14 13:54:03

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards and would love to find out more from Mumsnetters about where you live. DH and I thinking of moving to Acton from our tiny flat, so that we can afford a house (TTC at the moment and will need space for a nursery!). Reason we're looking at Acton is it's good for commuting for both our jobs, and near-ish to both our parents who are in SW London.

I think parts of Acton look great, BUT I've heard bad things about crime and safety (usual jibes about "Crackton", etc), which makes me worry about having babies and children there. I'm not precious, but I don't want to live somewhere too dangerous - I want a nice community.

Anyone who lives in Acton - are the critics right? Do you feel safe enough with your babies? Any areas to aim for, or areas to avoid?

Thanks so much!

creativepiano Thu 18-Sep-14 14:47:20

I lived in Acton for nearly two years and never had a problem and feel safe with my daughter. Probably depending on the area as you said... East Acton has a reputation but I wouldn't take all seriously.

Sweets27 Thu 18-Sep-14 15:06:44

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, creativepiano!

Which part of Acton did you live in? We are looking at West(ish) Acton, south of the mainline railway - I'm slowly learning more about the area and starting to like it a fair bit smile

medomedo Mon 06-Oct-14 12:51:46

Hi Sweets,

We moved to Acton from a swanky but massively expensive part of North London a few years ago and haven't looked back.

The sense of community, particularly when you have children, is incredible. I've not known anything like it anywhere else i've lived in London. And the area is well set up for families, there's a good selection of parks (each attracting their own demographic, it appears!), loads of supermarkets and very easy access to town for events and museums.

I've never heard the area referred to a 'Crackton'. There are parts I tend to avoid, but that's because of their overly grimy aesthetic, not because i'd feel afraid. I experienced much higher levels of crime in North London and often felt uncomfortable walking home at night (past open drug dealing). Fingers crossed, but Acton seems much safer.

The area you mention, along with Poets Corner, is the most expensive right now due to proximity to a future Crossrail station. My advice would be to take a walk around at different times of the day and see how you feel.

The area is changing, although the pace of change is surprisingly slow given the amount of money moving in. I do worry slightly that while i'll benefit from gentrification many people who grew up here can't afford to buy in their neighbourhood, and that this will ultimately turn Acton in to another middle-class enclave. But I guess that's the case across London.

Sweets27 Thu 09-Oct-14 10:24:08

Thanks for your thoughts Medo, really nice to hear that there's a good sense of community. Moving from central London that's what we're looking for, really. Interesting to hear you think North London felt less safe, too.

Anyways, since I last posted we've progressed to proper househunting and have hopefully found a place - how exciting!

bmxbandit Mon 05-Jan-15 20:29:31

Only just arrived on this message board so probably too late to add anything useful, but we've lived in Acton for eight years and really love it here.

As has been said, there is a nice neighbourhood vibe, especially around Poet's Corner area where there are festivals in the summer and huge fun at Halloween. There are a good number of lovely local cafes on Churchfield Road, far superior to the usual Costa trash (although you can get a costa on the high street if you are desperate). There are a couple of fantastic local, family friendly pubs too. The park is small but very nice. Also, I've heard a Curzon cinema is on it's way in the near future.

It's just great for getting to all sorts of places by public transport or by car. E.g. 10 mins to Kew Gardens and 20 or so to Hampstead Heath on the overground and it's also not far from Westfield, Chiswick or Ealing for shopping.

Good luck

Sweets27 Fri 16-Jan-15 12:41:44

Thanks, bmxbandit! Really helpful and nice to hear about your experience of Acton.

We are slowly getting to know the area, and getting comfortable with it. Seems to have so much character, and a proper neighbourhood is just what we are looking for. Just about to exchange on our new house near-ish to Churchfield Road - I am liking that area quite a lot now. Very exciting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now