Talk

Advanced search

Roedean & Brighton & Hove High School

(6 Posts)
zorocat1926 Thu 07-Aug-14 14:35:49

Dear All

I am thinking of sending our DD to a independant girls HS in Brighton. She is currently entering Y5.

I wondered if anyone could give me the lowdown on the baove schools?

I also wondered if anyone know how day girls fare at Roedean given that many pupils are international (50% I have heard) and many board.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

XXX

sasspuss17 Mon 18-Aug-14 18:49:47

Hi, not too much info on Roedean but have plenty of experience of BHHS; avoid it. The teaching is lacklustre, staff demoralised and atmosphere bitchy in the extreme. I know so many families withdrawing their girls due to low academic standards and bullying.

Have you looked at Brighton College?

brightonmermaid Tue 26-Aug-14 22:47:11

I know a few day girls at Roedean and they seem very happy.

gardener321 Wed 24-Sep-14 21:34:12

I recommend The Towers Convent School. It's a really caring and happy school with high standards.

Lola22 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:04:32

I can not recommend BHHS highly enough - my daughter is in YR7 and has flourished there. She has made some really lovely friends and enjoys very happy relationships inside and outside of school. She was one of only a few who joined the school from state primary's and we were concerned about her 'fitting in' - she has most certainly done that and is a very happy, confident and self-assured 12 year old! No misgivings on my part about the school at all.

innagazing Thu 24-Aug-17 13:44:19

I know this thread is old, but I just had to add my support to BHSS. My daughter has just left the sixth form having spent 10 years there (including some years at the junior school). She has had a fantastic time!
She's loved every moment of it, had all sorts of opportunities there and has come out with three good A levels and is about to go to a top university for her chosen subject.
The teaching staff are all very committed and approachable, and well liked by pupils. The relationships between the teachers and the girls are really positive and there is much mutual respect in evidence. Expectations are generally high academically, but the girls seem to achieve their potential without feeling too pressured. They also place value on the arts and other non academic subjects, and girls get a well rounded education. As an all girls school, they are encouraged to become strong independent women and challenge the boundaries that often stop females going for male dominated studie/ professions.
My daughter and her friends were well motivated to learn, as are the majority of the girls there. It's Not necessary to be hugely academic, but an openness and willingness to learn is a must, I would say, to be happy in this school.There's an implicit expectation that the girls behave well at all times, which they seem to do, so there's no particular issues with classroom discipline etc.
I guess bullying arises in every school at times, but i can honestly say that my daughter didn't experience any, nor was she aware of anyone else being bullied. She's always enjoyed the fact that the older girls were so supportive of the younger girls, and has looked up to, and been looked up to, as she progressed through the school. The school do promote this ethos and there are various formal and informal strategies in place.
I see that Sasspuss has commented on every post that mentions BHSS. She obviously feels extremely negative about the school. Please don't judge it on one person's view. Go and have a look at it and see it in action. It's awesome!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: