Talk

Advanced search

Nice place to live in Lanarkshire?

(6 Posts)
acjaa11 Tue 01-Jul-14 14:17:51

Hi there,

I got a job in Eurocentral, 11 miles east Glasgow, and I am currently looking for a nice place to settle with my 3 year old daughter. I've been looking at houses in Cumbernauld area, Hamilton, East Kilbride, Wishaw, Uddinsgton and Livingston area. Any advice of where would it be nicer or where I should avoid? Thank you!!

Luckymetoo Wed 02-Jul-14 13:26:21

I will give you my own personal opinion on the options you have given

Wishaw -I have lived here before and it would be lowest on the list you have given. There are nice bits adn nice houses but outweighed by the not nice areas in general not a good enough area and unless I had strong links to the community I wouldn't choose it.

East Kilbride and Cumbernauld - both of these are similar in that there have very large numbers of nice big family housing and are relatively large. I have friends in both and both have nice streets and neighbours with decent schools. Although there are decent facilities in both most can't walk to them it's more shopping centres and the like. Cumbernauld is a bit further out from everywhere though, particularly Glasgow. If you don't know people you might feel a bit isolated unless your kids are already at school.fir me my preference would be East Kilbride. They are about to start work on the road that would be your commute from East Kilbride which might add to your commute for the next couple of years but help in the long run.

Hamilton - quite large has some very nice areas. It's quite big so it really depends on where. I quite like it. Depending on the house and area I may choose hamilton over e.k.

Uddingston- disclaimer - I live here!! Smallest place on your list, still centred around a Main Street. Friendly lots of families. Quickest in your list into Glasgow, very good motorway links. Good primary schools. Uddingston grammar school is improving, holy cross in hamilton (the catholic catchment secondary) is probably a bit better. Sorry we will be using private secondary so my knowledge is limited.
Next to bothwell which is lovely, between uddingston and bothwell lots of nice places to eat, have a drink etc.

Livingston - heard okay things but don't know enough.

Feel free to ask me questions.

Luckymetoo Wed 02-Jul-14 13:35:47

Other places to consider

Bothwell - if you can afford it.
Lenzie - I know a few who commute to Coatbridge, they don't think it's too far.
Strathaven . Lovely more in the countryside, bit of a commute.
Linlithgow again lovely but again bit more of a commute.
You could probably commute from most places in Glasgow.

acjaa11 Wed 02-Jul-14 14:07:37

Thank you for your advice!

I am trying to minimize commuting time as much as possible. I am a bit biased towards Hamilton/Bothwell/Uddingston area, although I did find a few nice nurseries in Cumbernauld (at least their website looks nice!). I will visit the Green Apple nursery in Hamilton and Papillon nursery at Eurocentral next Friday and see how it feels. Have you heard anything about these nurseries? Do you know any nice nurseries in your area?

Many thanks!

Luckymetoo Wed 02-Jul-14 15:57:40

Sorry don't know those ones. I would recommend Hyde n seek in the righead industrial estate which is easily accessed on your way to work if you pick uddingston/bothwell. Hyde n seek

Care commission report here

It's on an industrial estate so you may be a bit hmm on driving to it but have a look, lovely inside and good outside space. Also can use your free nursery allocation towards your hours.

There us a Montessori nursery in the same industrial estate but they may not have space and I personally didn't click with the manager.

Lots of nurseries in Uddingston which are good too and a good Montessori in Bothwell (probably full).

Luckymetoo Wed 02-Jul-14 16:04:44

Actually I pretty certain a friend who works in hamilton uses the green apple one and she is thrilled with it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »