Talk

Advanced search

Albyn school or Robert Gordon's college

(20 Posts)
Tenny09 Mon 03-Mar-14 14:23:42

Hello everyone, my 5 yr old got offers at both Albyn school and Robert Gordon, I need advice on which one to choose. Anyone out there who can help? Thanks.

Aberdeenclutterbusters Tue 04-Mar-14 22:10:54

My son and daughter went to Robert Gordon's College and both loved it. My DD's fiancé works at Albyn and to be honest I don't see a lot of difference. I would check out the subject choices, for eg. RGC have a big a Drama department whereas Albyn don't.

It's harder to get into Gordon's, I often think the boys who go to Albyn do so because they didn't get into RGC. Not in every case obviously.

If it's a boy you have RGC, if it's a girl any of them.

The boys tend to be bit gentler at Albyn.

Aberdeenclutterbusters Tue 04-Mar-14 22:12:10

Forgot to say congratulations.

Tenny09 Wed 05-Mar-14 03:09:27

Thank you for your response, from what I have heard it seems RGC has more facilities than Albyn. This you also confirm with the drama dept you mentioned. Guess i will be taking the RGC offer for my boy I have till tomorrow to accept it.

Thank you once again,you've helped me in my decision.

Aberdeenclutterbusters Wed 05-Mar-14 21:10:37

You won't regret it.

mummylovesgin Sun 09-Mar-14 00:34:57

Both my children ( one B one G) are at RGC both love it, are happy and are doing very well.

Tenny09 Sun 09-Mar-14 07:42:08

Oh that's great. I hope my boy will love it there too. Can't wait for him to start in August.

AberdeenQuine Mon 10-Mar-14 10:51:19

Both my daughters are at RGC, I recommend it, though I have no current knowledge of Albyn. I do know RGC had a record amount of applications this year so well done for getting an offer of a place.

sshaikh Tue 11-Mar-14 16:33:52

hi we are moving to aberdeen soon,i have applied for robert gordon for P1 AND p3 PLACE ,5 YEARS AND 7 YEAROLD KIDS.any one know what sort of assessment they need to do?

thanks

Champagneandcrisps Wed 26-Mar-14 21:54:28

My kids are all at Albyn and love it. Three of them are boys and I didn't even consider Gordon's.

I've heard negative comments from more than one source about Secondary Maths at Gordon's. Albyn's Maths department is very strong.

AberdeenQuine Thu 27-Mar-14 09:15:31

Which school did you go for in the end Tenny?

Tenny09 Tue 01-Apr-14 14:08:28

I went for Robert Gordon.

AberdeenQuine Tue 01-Apr-14 14:19:34

Good choice.

sophiepippa Tue 13-Jan-15 20:23:57

Hi, Congratulations on your places. Next weekend my two girls are sitting for places at RGC and Albyn. Would you mind giving me some advice on the tests? My youngest will go into nursery which I'm not worrying about but my eldest is looking for a place for P4. Thank you.

Amyabn Sun 01-Mar-15 21:53:05

Hi Tenny, how did your son and you find about RGC after a year time. We are now facing the same choice as you did for my boy and any advice or comment would be appreciated. Thank you.

julzie Sat 28-Mar-15 21:45:57

Hi folks, We are looking at moving to Aberdeen possibly next year all things going well. We have a had a look on the RGC website for fees but was wandering if anyone could advise what the average cost of extras would be per year per child? I am thinking uniform, extra sports, trips kind of stuff. Thanks.

AberdeenQuine Sat 18-Apr-15 13:24:46

Uniform supplier is Aitken & Niven, you'll get an idea of prices on their website. John Lewis also do a few bits but IME their blazers don't last as well as A&N. Jumpers, boys trousers and shirts can be bought from anywhere as there are no logos. The PTA organises 2 second hand uniform sales a year also, though I've never been.

My eldest had 2 residential trips last year (different school years). Together they were in the region of £500. There have been a couple of day trips, they were a few quid each.

AberdeenQuine Sat 18-Apr-15 13:26:27

Most clubs are free or low cost. Mine don't do extra hockey so I'm not sure of costs there.

julzie Mon 20-Apr-15 21:22:52

Thank you so much for the information. smile

missingtheDeen Mon 20-Apr-15 21:27:04

I often wonder what Gordon's is like now. I went there was in the first intake of girls and Albyn was still all girls.
When I was working in aberdeen I looked at Albyn for ds1 starting school had visited Gordon's junior school and actually really
Didn't like it. We moved in the end so it was a decision I never had to make.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: