Talk

Advanced search

Baby swimming?

(3 Posts)
MummyKatkins1 Wed 08-Jan-14 17:10:18

Hi, I've recently moved to Accrington and have a 3 wk old baby. Trying to find things to do to get out the house and wondered if anyone knows of any places to take a baby swimming in the area? Or whether I'm completely mad to even contemplate it!
Thanks

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 08-Jan-14 17:27:21

Do you have a car? Darwen Leisure centre is about 5 - 7 miles from Accy, its a brilliant brand new place with a lovely small pool and they do mum and baby swim sessions on I think... Tuesday afternoons and then I think Friday morning and afternoon.

Although its a few years since I went as my two are older now. The Friday morning one is heaving and people turn away as its free under the local residents scheme, so even though me and my friend qualified for free, we went to the Friday afternoon one instead when sometimes we had the pool to ourselves!

number is 01254 4874900.

Then there is Hyndburn baths between accy and Oswaldtwistle but the changing rooms are not as baby friendly iirc, and there is no separate small pool, however they may still do baby sessions.

I don't think you are able to take a baby till its had first set of jabs but am not an expert, the pool staff will be able to advise.

Also in the area and very nice indeed is Splash which is a small private pool doing mostly lessons but there are times when its open to the public, google for Splash Riverside, they have a very detailed timetable that is updated regularly, bit more expensive than the municipal pools but really warm water that is not chlorinated (so they are very strict on shower before getting in). Lovely place with lots of space in the changing rooms and they have playpens to put baby in while you get changed.

Have fun!

MummyKatkins1 Sat 11-Jan-14 16:45:48

Many thanks for the reply - I will have a look at the places you've suggested. I'll ask HV about jabs as wasn't sure either if could go swimming before baby has had them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »