Talk

Advanced search

Old Vicarage School

(10 Posts)
SunshineyDays Thu 17-Oct-13 18:51:03

My daughters name has come up on the waiting list for reception 2014 at Old Vicarage School. She is currently attending nursery at Ibstock Place and so has a place in reception there next year. She is happy and I am happy with Ibstock. Should I consider taking her out and sending her to Old Vicarage?

The class size at Ibstock is 24 where it is only 14 at old Vicarage. Ibstock is co-ed, which I like, but OV is girls only. I have heard rumours that OV is a bit of a "princess factory" .

Can anybody tell me anything about the Old Vicarage School?

DonsDrapers Fri 18-Oct-13 09:03:21

I have only visited the school and my only concern was that the whole time I was there (albeit only several hours) was that I didn't see a single man. I was planning on researching single sex schools a bit more as it did seem slightly surreal, but I have not come to any conclusions yet.

Heathclif Fri 18-Oct-13 22:45:37

There are male members of staff at OVS, the music teacher in particular is lovely and much loved. Good sensible Head but you are comparing chalk and cheese. I would visit and see which feels right for your daughter and family. In particular OVS streamed at 10 (may not do now but you get the end game) based on who was slow / quick (no predictor of outcome, not only did some of the slower get into more selective schools but now they are the ones applying to Oxbridge.) but with an impact on confidence. Lots of worrying stories on Ibstock's handling of Learning Difficulties, in contrast to more selective schools (learning difficulties affect 10% of the population regardless of ability and able pupils can cope up until later in their career, never assume it won't be an issue.) Ibstock used to have a reputation as the school that filled the niche for those who wanted a lovely supportive school but Head wants it to compete with the more academic schools,.

LegoIsMyFriend Sat 19-Oct-13 01:20:25

Sorry, I've heard a few worrying stories about bullying and pressure at Old Vic which certainly convinced me I wouldn't want to send my (very academic and self-driven) DD there. Not my direct experience so I appreciate others may come along with different perspectives for you.

Heathclif Sat 19-Oct-13 11:26:33

My very academic and self driven daughter thrived there, I think those are the exact qualities that would enable a girl to thrive there! I would worry more about the impact on the confidence of the less academic, given the schools focus on getting them into the most selective schools. But then the Heads focus is now no different at Ibstock, it has moved away from it's original Froebal ethos about as far as it could go! However go and see, your instinct about what feels right is often the best indicator, rather than the stories you hear from others.

On bullying I am afraid that can happen anywhere, no school can control the characters that come into a school.

SunshineyDays Mon 21-Oct-13 15:28:00

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Some really good points to consider. I have an appointment to visit the school soon.

horsesforfun Mon 04-Sep-17 09:50:40

We have been considering OVS for year-4 (2017/8) but entry appears very selective as my daughter has been at International schools abroard. Any comments appreciated..

Yaley Wed 01-Nov-17 14:27:52

I would imagine the drop-out rate to be very low and that's why you haven't even able to get a place to start in year 4. They have two classes of 15 in each year so it's quite small. Everyone joins in Reception barring very occasional places that may come up.

FrustratedofTW1 Thu 02-Nov-17 08:46:55

The Head previously taught at Tanglin in Singapore, I doubt very much that having been taught in International Schools is the issue. However the cohort are more mobile than the previous poster understands and places do come up, especially in Year 4.

HangLooseLondon Fri 29-Dec-17 09:08:04

My DD goes to the OVS and she is extremely happy there, she loves that its an all girls school and how much attention she gets from her teachers being in small class of 15 girls. Every morning she is running to the school with a big smile and thriving in her study and when I picked her up for the 3 weeks Christmas break she was sad saying she will miss her teacher that just shows how happy my child there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: