Talk

Advanced search

Moving to the area- help!

(8 Posts)
MrsBaldy03 Tue 09-Apr-13 12:31:43

My husband and I are looking to move with our 5 year old son to the Haverford West area. Can anyone recommend semi-rural areas to live that have easy access to the Hospital (we are both in healthcare) and with good primary schools that speak mainly English?

Also can anyone talk to me about what it is like to live there. There are some very horrible sites painting nasty pictures!

Thanks

waitintoolong Sun 19-May-13 15:18:36

Hi I can see you posted your message a while ago. I was born and brought up in Pembrokeshire altho' don't live there all the time now. I'm stunned that you say there are sites with nasty pics of the area. It's beautiful! Of course it's rural and that isn't everyone's cup of tea but there are many pluses and "civilization" is not so far away in Carmarthen, or for a bit more , Swansea. I have also lived in the midlands and would say that services, schools, GP's, everything are better in pembs! It's safe and friendly with many beautiful beaches. look at the National Park website or the County Council one to get a good idea of what it's like. Hope this helps! x

marthalydiawilliams Wed 21-Aug-13 23:33:37

Did you move to the area and did you find somewhere to live? I have recently moved here but there are no mumsnet/net mums/nct/toddler groups etc so havent met up with any mums yet and was wondering whether you had?

splashofmagic Sun 29-Sep-13 06:44:02

Hi there smile
I know you posted a while ago, so you have more than likely already moved in?
I hope you are settling in well.
I have lived in Haverfordwest for almost 20 years now and love it here!
Yes it has it's bad areas, as I'm sure all places do, but mostly the people are friendly and the beaches and countryside are stunning!
Have you managed to meet up with anyone yet?
There are some nice toddler groups about, the leisure centre runs a twist and Jive on a weds morning, otherwise the mother and toddler at emmanual church (merlins bridge) is always very welcoming.
There are quite a few more about, if you need any info just let me know and will see what I can do smile

LocalEditorPembrokeshire Mon 07-Oct-13 12:36:22

Hello, Pembrokeshire now has it's own Local Editor. I'm hoping to set up some Meet-ups very soon and get the Pembrokeshire site more active. I hope this will help you.
With best wishes,
Claire
Local Editor Pembrokeshire

mightbemovingtowales Thu 17-Oct-13 14:21:23

Hello! We might be moving to Wales - to Ceredigion/Pembrokeshire area. I'm afraid we are English as they come, and the move is related to Husband's work, although love the area from holidays we have had (but aware that real life and holidays can be very different!) We have 2 kids, 9 (nearly 10) and 7 - feeling slightly overwhelmed about working out how to get them into schools when they haven't spoken any welsh before. Does anyone have any advice?

LocalEditorPembrokeshire Tue 22-Oct-13 23:05:53

Hello,

Whilst I am proud to be Welsh I have to admit that Pembrokeshire is known as "Little England Beyond Wales" and it is more of a struggle to find Welsh schools than English, so i'm sure your kids would fit in just fine. :-)

Welsh is taught as a Second Language in the majority of the schools rather than as a first language so that would not be a problem at all if you pick the right school. :-)

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I have a 7 and a 10 year old too (as well as a 2 and a 5 year old!)

Best wishes,

Claire

mightbemovingtowales Thu 07-Nov-13 18:18:26

Hi Claire

sorry for the silence and thanks for your reply. The move is almost certain to happen, now, although it's more likely we'll end up in Ceredigion, or if it's Pembrokeshire, it'll be St Dogmaels area where the schools are all welsh speaking. I've spoken to a number of primary head teachers in the area we're likely to end up in, and County Council people, and am feeling pretty reassured - if we go to Ceredigion, the kids would spend a term at a welsh language centre near Aberaeron Now I just have to find someone to teach me welsh - and some work - know any good places to start for freelance writers in the area?

Sally x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: