Talk

Advanced search

holidays....and 13 year old boys

(11 Posts)
Calmacmum Sun 12-Jun-11 21:01:53

I have a fairly decent 13yr old on the premises - however, as he goes sailing and adventuring with his father, I'm at a loss to do something in the holidays which will keep us both entertained. He's not wildly keen on museum-y things and a suggested trip to Madrid has been shot down as it is not near the sea. (We already live near the sea but seemingly variety not a spice he's doing this year). Any suggestions ? Thank you

Geordieminx Sun 12-Jun-11 21:07:32

Barcelona?

Calmacmum Mon 13-Jun-11 00:06:41

Thank you, yes. but we are bit of old hands there and son reckons he has seen it - as, indeed, he has. We saw also the fountains at the palace where they tortured various unlucky sods. No body expecting the Spanish inquisition. As it were.

Geordieminx Mon 13-Jun-11 08:18:00

South coast of France?

Fly to Nice, then you can easily do Monaco/Cannes/Ville Franche, as they are all on the train line ( 20 minutes between Nice/Monaco/ VF)

Calmacmum Mon 13-Jun-11 12:56:18

That sounds like a lovely trip - however, I fear the south of France a bit beyond our budget. It was great when he was three - I could get away with giving him a basin of water and two corks and that was him for a week. This grown-up bit is a killer.

Geordieminx Mon 13-Jun-11 13:27:44

Possibly, although it can be done on a budget.. Cheap flights, train travel, hostel/b&b

Cornwall?

Road trip round Scotland? Up west coast across the top and back down the east?

Cruise? Good deals around at the moment, different city every day?

Geordieminx Mon 13-Jun-11 13:30:06

Also what about taking in sone shows at Edinburgh festival?

bethelbeth Mon 13-Jun-11 14:55:42

http://www.portavadiemarina.com/

Amaaazing place. They can arrange quadbiking, fishing etc and it's also surrounded by woodland!

We love it and go most sunny weekends. Prices start at £18 a head including breakfast which was a winner in my book!

Geordieminx Mon 13-Jun-11 15:23:07

Beth, that place looks lovely... How long would it take to get here from Glasgow?

Is there much to do for a 4 year old?

bethelbeth Mon 13-Jun-11 20:15:36

It's about an hour and a half drive. You get the ferry from Greenock. It's a lovely drive actually.

It's very child friendly, the staff are all very welcoming. There's a big sandpit next to the restaurant but not much else in the way of 'play' facilities atm (although there's a big ruddy building site earmarked for it!)

My friend's son is 5 and into boats in a big way so he finds it fascinating, you can go for a walk to the hidden cottage and if you're brave there's the spooky old abandoned village further away.

http://www.portavadiemarina.com/diary/ This is the itinerary for events

The walking theatre is excellent btw and kids thought it was hilarious.

Even if you don't manage to make it for the summer, I thoroughly recommend their Halloween 'do' as it was a proper traditional type party last year which was lovely.

And if you're not a boaty type they can/will organise for you to get taken out for a wee sightseeing/fishing trip if you fancy.

I am so smitten with this place. In case it wasn't obvious lol!

Calmacmum Mon 13-Jun-11 22:40:01

Thank you both for suggestions - given me stuff to mull over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now