Talk

Advanced search

Days out leaving from the West End during the hols

(8 Posts)
Blottedcopybook Sat 11-Jun-11 21:04:34

Hiya!

I'm looking for recommendations for good places to go on days out, maybe 1-1.5h max away from Glasgow? I've already got Heads of Ayr, I've been advised against Edinburgh Zoo because they have work going on and I'm not sure about Blairdrummond if we're going by coach - do any of you have any hints, tips or advice?

The reason I'm asking is that I own The Life Craft on Great Western Road and since we're closed on Tuesdays we thought it might be fun to organise some coach trips to various fun places during the Summer holidays. We'll have a sign-up sheet available in the shop once we've solidified what the trips will be, if you fancy keeping up to date with where we're going, you can search for 'The Life Craft' on Facebook and like us! Friends old & new are more than welcome to join us.

bethelbeth Sat 11-Jun-11 23:04:14

I knooow you wink

Have you thought about Kelburn Country Park near Largs? Calderglen Country Park at East Kilbride so that you can jaunt home? Or the Museum of Agriculture?

St Andrews is fab because there's the beautiful beach and the sealife centre to keep the inquisitive minds going. Coach parking is free I think as well if you park down at the beach front.

Culzean Castle is good too

Blottedcopybook Sat 11-Jun-11 23:26:21

Helloo!

One of my friends said that Kelburn was a bit pricey, but then if we've got a coachload going we can negotiate group prices. St Andrews & Culzean are both childhood favourites of mine - I shall investigate!

Do you think people would want to go to somewhere as close by as Calderglen?

NormanTebbit Sat 11-Jun-11 23:36:29

Almond Valley

bethelbeth Sun 12-Jun-11 00:44:46

I think there's a lot of people in the Glasgow area that use public transport- Calderglen is a bit out of the way and not immediately accessible by bus/train/ etc so it might be a winner. Also if there's any keen walkers/offroad pram lovers there's the Glen too.
I reckon we're just a pair of old EK gimmers and look a gift horse in the mouth! (It's SO cheap...and meerkats!!) wink
I don't think it's particularly well known either, most west endies or southsiders seem to be quite unaware of it.

I think Kelburn would definitely negotiate on prices as I've heard on the grapevine that there has been a few financial troubles of late.

Is Chatleraut (sp) still on the go? That used to be a nice wee day out.

Edinburgh zoo you get a discount for larger groups. Also not easily accessible by public transport and has picnic area and plenty of play facilities. It's a long day out though with a lot of walking.

timbuktutu Sun 12-Jun-11 06:34:00

No ideas to add, but it's a great idea and we'd definitely be interested!

Blottedcopybook Mon 13-Jun-11 23:14:06

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going to look into them all and get a schedule sorted, would you lovely lot like me to come and fill you in?

bethelbeth Tue 14-Jun-11 23:24:24

Absolutely... (and if anyone hasn't taken their sprogs to the Lifecraft then I urge you to do so!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now