Talk

Advanced search

Living in Oxford

(19 Posts)
PenguinArmy Thu 26-May-11 23:39:58

DH has been offered a job in Oxford (at the Churchill hospital) but we're not sure if we can afford the salary.

From what we've seen so far rents are 800pounds upwards.

We would like to live within walking distance so we don't have to get a new car, or public transport.

Are there any areas which would be suitable or any sites you could recommend for looking at rental properties.

We need two bedroom as I'm due with 2nd DC in October and it's likely to be short term (unless I get a job at the uni once mat leave is over).

Another possibility is for me to do tutoring. Is there demand for tutors (would be physics, maths and chemistry) or any local organisations that arrange these things? Would probably only need 2 hours a week to make ends meet.

TIA

Honeydragon Thu 26-May-11 23:54:43

Well where I live I think it's a hour and 5 minute bus journey and that works out about £65 per month, I think. 3 bed house can be rented for around £625 /£720.

Public transport around Oxford is good, and there are cheaper places to live.

If you go out to Cowley you can get 2 bed flat for £700ish?

Banbury is 20 minutes on the train, that should be a lot cheaper?

PenguinArmy Thu 26-May-11 23:58:09

I'm a bit wary of a 1 hr commute for DH, especially once you add on door to bus time. Think I'd rather have DH home for a bit longer and I don't think he realises how tiring it is to have that kind of commute. Although he's of the opposite opinion naturally.

Honeydragon Fri 27-May-11 00:07:12

Nope, I've done it, it gets wearing.

Certainly Banbury and Didcot <shudders> could be options using the train.

Honeydragon Fri 27-May-11 00:09:58

abingdons nice and in the £700ish mark?

PenguinArmy Fri 27-May-11 00:14:03

700 would be a lot more manageable, and then only need to pick up one tutee. With child benefit we should cross the neutral threshold.

<wishes I was entitled to SMP>

Honeydragon Fri 27-May-11 00:20:44

You'd be entitled to maternity benefit which isn't a great deal less. I think if you look at Abingdon or towns in the 20 min by train you can certainly get nearer £700 or less.

PenguinArmy Fri 27-May-11 00:22:27

I don't think so because you still need to have been working in the UK, or at least that was my understanding

Honeydragon Fri 27-May-11 00:35:39

There's a test period for mat allow, I think your right, they changed it so that you had to have been employed for a certain amount of time prior to claim... Bugger.

PenguinArmy Fri 27-May-11 00:49:51

I've just done a quick search and it looks like the price of the train would offset any savings, especially since he'll need a bus the other end as it's 2 miles away from the hospital

Sinkingfeeling Fri 27-May-11 13:20:31

I would look at renting in East Oxford - Cowley, Florence Park areas, which is likely to be less expensive than Headington, but an easy bus-ride or cycle away. Take a look at Daily Info or the Oxford Gumtree site for rental properties. There is lots for young families to do in Cowley/Florence Park and there's easy acess to the city centre too, but not great for schooling in the longer term.

BensonBunny Fri 27-May-11 20:26:37

There is a bus from Abingdon (X13) which goes to the John Radcliffe then you can walk / get the shuttle to the Churchill, but the journey is about 45 minutes (20 minutes by car if not in rush hour). Staff can get discounted bus tickets for most bus journeys to work, not sure if the info is on the external website though. Traffic in Oxford is a nightmare so if you can avoid a long journey I would. I don't know about rental prices but Marston could be a possibility (the other side of the John Radcliffe). Not that far and there is shuttle bus between the two hospitals.

wearymum200 Fri 27-May-11 20:53:01

I would go for no commute if at all possible! Will he ride a bike (loads of people in Oxf do and it's relatively bike-friendly)? I would definitely rule out a train commute, the Churchill is ridiculoously awkwardly-placed for the station (we live right by the Churchill and it took me 45 mins to get to the station last week, on the bus; left my bike at home because they always get nicked from the station!)
There is now a direct bus from Abingdon to Churchill hospital (4, oxf bus company), but I've never gone all the way to Abingdon on it. Buses relatively expensive.
Less expensive places to live include Wood Farm/ Lye valley, Risinghurst, Marston and Barton. Is he going to be an NHS employee or university? (University has some subsidised accommodation, NHS Trust has a small number of 2 bed flats on the John radcliffe site (10 mins walk from Churchill, free shuttle bus)). If you or DH can get up to oxford to have a look, then accommodation is often advertised on the John Radcliffe notice board.
As for giving tutorials, lots of home ed in oxford, so you might get some ad hoc. Daily info a good place to look for tuition wanted.

PenguinArmy Fri 27-May-11 20:59:40

Thanks weary and others. We didn't know about the NHS/uni accommodation.

He will be employed by John Radcliffe so NHS although in reality he will be working for both. As you say it seems the cost of the bus pretty much means we may as well live in Oxford. He will spend a few weeks there looking around and working first if we accept. I'll stay at my mums when we first arrive taking advantage of some free babysitting and maybe getting a full nights sleep grin.

Just trying to get all the info we can before hand.

LittleWhiteWolf Fri 27-May-11 21:06:10

Been running this past DH and we're suggested pretty much all the places already mentioned. Headington springs to mind, though. Thats right by the JR which is only a short way from the Churchill. You could try Kidlington which is a little outside of Oxford, but its getting pricey.

Good luck with your search though!

PenguinArmy Fri 27-May-11 21:10:00

We've emailed the NHS accommodation person. Sounds perfect, although none currently available. We're not in the UK until August though.

InvaderZim Sun 29-May-11 15:22:23

I would look at renting in Risinghurst, it's a lovely area and very family friendly. The Churchill is a short bike ride away.

Alternately Sandhiils. Wouldn't go for Barton. Marston is fine, but has a whopping great big hill to ride up in the mornings!

Do you need to think about schools? There have been some threads on about them recently.

Toughasoldboots Sun 29-May-11 15:40:54

Sandhills would be a good place to look at, right opposite the park and ride( loads of buses), next to the Oxford to London coach stop which runs 24 hours and cycle paths everywhere.

It is cheaper but not as 'challenging' as Barton to live in. Lots of young families there too with lots of doctors working at Churchill/JR and uni .

Toughasoldboots Sun 29-May-11 15:43:47

P.S I moved from East Oxford as I couldn't cope with all the student noise at night and I didn't really like Cowley road area with children in tow.

Feel quite sentimental now, ds teddy is called Cowley - I digress, sorry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: