Talk

Advanced search

Tollcross PS P1 August 2011 intake capped - are you affected?

(12 Posts)
littlewoof Thu 26-May-11 09:51:25

Hi there,

I am a current parent of children at Tollcross School (the English side) and have heard that there are several catchment children who have been placed on a waiting list despite the P1 intake not actually being full. The Council has capped the intake below the legal limit of 25 as they want to composite classes all the way up the school instead of actually paying for another teacher as would be required were they to allow the full normal intake.

The Council is on record as having said that Tollcross does not have a good record of capturing catchment children and then they go and do this to us. It is bad for the whole school if they get away with this move.

If you have been placed on the waiting list despite being in the catchment area please get in touch as we are looking to get this decision overturned but cannot do it without you.

Many thanks,

Juliet

TheCrackFox Thu 26-May-11 12:26:44

This doesn't actaully affect me but where is the council proposing to educate your child?

It doesn't actually sound legal. I was under the impression that if you lived in the catchment area then the council was legally obliged to offer the child a place. Might be wrong on that, though.

soo22 Sat 28-May-11 19:47:37

Hi, I'm not affected either, but I have a problem elsewhere in the city, it is not legal to cap classes below the 25 and if anyone is affected, they should appeal.

caldera5 Sun 29-May-11 07:14:47

Interesting Fact..... it's only the Mainstream(English) side of the school that's being capped! The Gaelic side is not! It seems very odd that it's ok for one side of the school to take in 25+ for P1 and not the other! Hidden agenda perhaps, from CEC ?

Bellebelle Tue 31-May-11 20:35:03

Hi,

To my knowledge it's only out of catchment children who are on the waiting list unless in catchment have gone on the list since early May?

There were 18 in catchment placements and 6 out of catchment requests, due to the capping of the intake at 20 (so that there can be 5 children from the current P1 class put into a composite class next term) only 2 of these requests were granted and 4 placed on the waiting list. 2 have since come off the waiting list (going to catchment schools) and 2 remain. As I say, that was at the beginning of May so if anyone has moved into the catchment since they may have been put on a waiting list.

I have a child in the English part of the school too so the composite classes concern me a bit. I know that there is a teacher further up the school due to go on maternity leave in the summer and the school didn't know if they'd get funding to cover her so maybe this is the result of that?

caldera5 Wed 01-Jun-11 06:52:28

the cover for the teacher on maternity leave is arranged so it's not to do with that! Still doesn't address the fact it's only the English side that's being capped!

Bellebelle Wed 01-Jun-11 09:53:26

So why are there going to be composite classes all the way up the school i.e. 6 classes rather than 7?

I suspect the Gaelic side hasn't been capped because of it being the only Gaelic primary in the area, I would think that if there were more than 20 in catchment children for the English P1 then they would have to lift the cap, as far as I know just now it's only out of catchment children who are loosing out.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 01-Jun-11 10:05:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlewoof Wed 01-Jun-11 10:19:28

The thing is it's not just the P1 entry that is being capped. The school has also been told to refuse entries higher up the school AT THE MOMENT despite there being places available and it being the only school in the area with places. I did not think they were allowed to deny a child a place in his/her local school when there are definitely places available just because it might cause an issue in the future.

Bellebelle I'd be interested to know where you got these figures - are they available to all? If you'd like to talk without posting on here, you can grab me in the playground one day or send a message via the school. I think I'm the only Juliet there so they'll know who you mean!

Juliet

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 01-Jun-11 10:24:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlewoof Wed 01-Jun-11 15:41:47

Thanks all. Talking to Mike Russell tomorrow so might get some clarification.

caldera5 Wed 01-Jun-11 16:28:16

Apparently, losing a GP space is part of the argument, but it was ok last year in order to accomodate another Gaelic class. As GP spaces are for all pupils, the whole school suffered, as there is no available free space when groups of children are taken out of class for various reasons. Learning assistants find they are struggling to find areas to work with children and much of the equipment all staff use is housed in a cupboard! eg photocopier, etc. Why can't the school have a hut in the playground as other schools do, if space is an issue?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: