Talk

Advanced search

Is pontprennau a nice place to live?

(10 Posts)
Izziebelly Wed 25-May-11 13:27:06

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone can share any info on the area of pontprennau as we are considering moving there.
We currently live in an area with quite a bit of crime and anti-social behaviour, and are really keen not to end up in another area like this!
Any thoughts/experiences or opinions of this area - good or bad would really be appreciated!

thanks
Izzie

happywheezer Wed 25-May-11 13:30:56

I don't know of any crime in Pontprennau.
It is a new place to live, all the houses are new, but it's got a waitrose and an ASDA.
No trains but the buses go there often, it's quite far out of the city centre too if you need to commute but you have the A48 on one side and M4 on other.
Very family friendly.

Izziebelly Wed 25-May-11 13:52:04

Thanks happywheezer,

Family friendly is exactly what I am looking for, so that sounds promising! Do you live in the area? It is quite a bit further out from the city centre than where we currently live, but if it is quieter with less trouble then hopefully the extra travelling will be worth while.

jesskatie Fri 27-May-11 14:10:13

I know a couple of people who live in the area and they are very happy and have had no problems. There is also a fabulous school near by, Sringwood has an excellent reputation.

bacon Sat 28-May-11 13:23:35

Its ok, a modern estate, bit crammed with a big retail park on the main drive - Mcdonalds, massive B&Q etc. (so check the straying rubbish & noise) The surroundings are Llanedyn which isnt very nice. Lisvane and older parts of St Mellons nice. It is between the A48M and M4. Cardiff buses provide excellent service so getting into town easy and cheap. Check the quality and locations comprehensives around east cardiff.

I would choose Radyr, Lisvane & lanishen, some thornhill and some other north west side really.

The crime for south east wales is pretty high. The drug side is high too.

Izziebelly Wed 01-Jun-11 11:50:19

Hi,
thank you for all your replies.

Jesskatie it is good to hear that there is a good school in the area, I had heard some people say that schooling was a bit of an issue in the area, so that is reassuring.

Bacon - yes the retail park is something to consider, maybe best to be further away from this. So in your opinion there are better places to live with a family within a similar price range?

thanks

Poogles Wed 01-Jun-11 12:13:48

We moved to Cardiff a year ago and that was one of the places we looked at. The downside for us was the school situation. There isn't actually one there so your children may not go to school with anyone close by.

We plumped for Radyr in the end and I have to say I would never move!! It has a village feel to it, the primary school seems great (DS only in reception), transport links are fantastic (10 mins on the train to the centre of Cardiff), Taff train on your doorstep etc. The secondary school also has a good reputation, although we are a few years off being able to vouch for that!!

Only downside to Radyr is that it can be a bit pricey, although houses in the Sidings are more affordable (new part)

Poogles Wed 01-Jun-11 12:14:03

Taff trail I meant!!

Izziebelly Mon 06-Jun-11 13:49:39

Hi Poogles,

I don't know Radyr myself, but I have heard it's a lovely place, and alot of good things about the local schools there, so I'm sure you have made a great choice for your family!

Unfortunatley I don't think Radyr will really be in our price range, but I will keep and eye out for the Sidings to see if that is any better.

Catmacnamara Wed 08-Jun-11 16:50:04

Pontprennau is a lovely area. I grew up in pentwyn which is next to pontprennau and is fab!! I can't think of any primary schools close by as they are all in pentwyn or in llanederyn. There is a few high schools; llanishen, llanedyrn, st teilos, cardiff high or corpus christi. Ive always liked the area and recommend it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now