Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a really good vets in Kirkintilloch/Bishopbriggs?

(14 Posts)
itma Sat 14-May-11 17:01:57

I am hoping to find a vet practice where all the vets are good. Also, one where time is taken with the patients rather than an 'in and out' approach with a super-quick check of the animal, a super-quick explanation of how to administer the tablets before you're at the desk paying the bill five minutes after entering the exam room. I'm not looking for red-carpet treatment but it's just that I used to go to a vet practice that was excellent, happy to explain everything, answer questions, where all the vets and nurses seemed to really care about the animals and you didn't worry which vet you saw as they were all good. I live in hope of finding a similar practice!

NumptyMum Sat 14-May-11 19:01:19

We got a cat from cats protection some years back and they used Ballantine and Martin. We actually live in central Glasgow but had to go back and forth to Kirkie as our poor mog had FIV and suddenly got terminally ill; the staff there seemed nice and were just as upset as we were when we had to put Isaac down. So I've not got much experience to go on, but at that time (2002) they seemed nice.

itma Sun 15-May-11 13:06:50

Numptymum

Thanks for your post. I wasn't sure if there were others in Kirkintilloch. When something like that happens you need kind staff. I've seen a vet talking to very upset clients about their pet who's had to be euthanised in the waiting room in front of everyone, which didn't seem right to me. He didn't take them into an office (the exam rooms were being used) but maybe that's not unusual.

Sorry about your cat. It's great that you rehomed an FIV cat.

NumptyMum Mon 16-May-11 13:53:05

if it helps to know, they actually let me wait in one of the examination rooms, as I didn't want to go ahead with getting Isaac put to sleep without my other half there, so he had to hop on the train/bus from Glasgow... they were really nice, and we let Isaac wander around the room while we were waiting. Makes me bubble up again to think about it... sniff.

itma Mon 16-May-11 18:57:27

I know. It matters so much how that is handled because you never forget it. I know most are really sensitive but I once sat in the waiting room next to a couple whose dog had been put to sleep while he was in being treated. The vet, who was consulting, then came out and spoke to them about it in the waiting room in front of us all. Quietly and kindly, but they should have been taken into the office if all the rooms were busy. I felt so bad for them.

KvetaBarry Tue 17-May-11 12:32:20

we used to go to Ballantine and Martin, but not anymore. They used to be a lot better. 1 dog they operated on unnecessarily, and nearly killed him, another they wanted to amputate his limb, and on getting a second opinion elsewhere, we found that was unnecessary. He remained 4-limbed until old age got the better of him. We (well, my parents) now use a practice in Cumbernauld, sorry I don't know the name of them, but could find out if you'd like.

NumptyMum Tue 17-May-11 15:47:57

Useful for me to know as we may be moving out that way - sorry to hear B&M not so good now!

itma Fri 20-May-11 22:40:44

KvetaBarry
Thanks for replying and the info - that sounds awful. It's good that your family got a second opinion. I usually believe what the vet tells me, I hate to think what I would have done.

I know that B&M are the only practice in Kirkintilloch. I didn't realise until now how few vets practices there actually are. I'm really paranoid (though maybe not) because a friend of a friend is a vet (not here unfortunately) and she told me that a lot of practices, in her opinion, are more interested in money than patient care. She worked in a practice where they used to keep phoning through to her to tell her to get rid of the current patient if she went over the ten minutes, regardless of what was wrong and how long it took to treat the animal. She was supposed to just rush them through, knowing that they would have to be back - but that would be more business. If it isn't too much trouble, I would be grateful for the name of the Cumbernauld vets. Thanks again.

strawberrymewmew Fri 27-May-11 14:18:11

I also used to go to Ballantine and Martin as our first cat we got was from the CPL.

Our cat had fallen from our window 4 floors up and had to have his cast changed every week. 1 of the days we went to get him, while on the way home we noticed his carrier, blanket and him were completely drenched in urine. He had never done the toilet outside his tray before so must have been desperate. Another time we went to get his cast changed we noticed the next morning it had came off and he was limping around again and in obvious pain. We went back and they changed it and still charged us for the new cast, bandages and sedation even though it had not been put on properly!

I don't think I would use B+M again.

prettybird Fri 27-May-11 19:47:17

Our vets' practice is brilliant but as it is on the South Side, won't be any good for you.

Does this help? The review of the one we use is pretty accurate - maybe you can find one closer to you?

itma Mon 30-May-11 12:07:17

Strawberrymewmew Thanks. Well, that's decided - 2 bad reports so I am going to give B+M a wide berth. I hope your cat's leg healed okay eventually.

Prettybird Thanks for the link. I hadn't come across that website so I'll check the reviews.

Someone has mentioned the Bishopbriggs Vet Centre to me and also Glenbrae Vets in Bearsden. I need to check these out and also see how far they are to travel to. I'm so glad that I posted this question.

strawberrymewmew Mon 30-May-11 12:45:22

Itma You're welcome, I was furious when I seen Skrinkle like that, lying in his own urine and wouldn't like anyone else to witness their pet in a state like that.

His leg did heal eventually, thank you. smile

Hope you find a vet soon, I have heard the vet in Denniston is quite good too, if that is a bit closer for you.

AgentProvocateur Tue 31-May-11 21:36:06

There's a vet's practice in the Pets At Home store in the retail park at Bishopbriggs, but I don't know whether they're good or not.

itma Fri 03-Jun-11 10:35:01

That's a new thing, isn't it? I'll have a look at it as well. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: