Talk

Advanced search

Help - Where to live in Cheltenham , Bishops Cleeve or Leckhampton

(7 Posts)
LornaE Sat 07-May-11 10:32:55

Hello there

I am hoping to relocate to Cheltenham from South Glouc.....I am pregnant and hoping to find an area that has the following -
good choice of mother and baby groups
good areas for walking - easy access to green space for dog
couple of decent pubs/coffee shops

I will initially be renting with the view to buy if we like the area...
Many thanks for any advice, I don't know the area at all.
Ta.

newpup Sat 07-May-11 11:06:06

Both are good areas. Leckhampton primary school is well regarded and over subscribed so you would need to be in the right road to get in. Bishops Cleeve is large but nice, you would get more for your money house wise. If you move to Bishops Cleeve you would not be in the catchment for Pates Grammar school but obviously that is a long time in the future for you now.

Both are good with regards to mother and baby, playgroups etc. Both have easy access to green spaces and the countryside. If it was me I would go for Leckhampton simply to access the Grammar school at a later stage.

Hope that helps.

theglove Tue 10-May-11 11:37:51

Newpup, I don't think there's a catchment for Pates is there? it's exam only.
I agree about Leckhampton though, two great comps and a nice area close to town.

teacherwith2kids Tue 10-May-11 13:46:06

Lorna,

I moved to Chelt already with children (4 and 6 at the time) so can't help with the 'baby' stuff. However, notes on other stuff:

Leckhampton is mostly 'older' housing stock (Victorian terraces etc). Bishops' Cleeve has a lot of new estates. it probably isn't an issue now with you renting, but perhaps if your family grows and you want an affordable larger house, BC may serve you better.

Leckhampton 'village area' round the school has a couple of shops, access to Leckhampton hill allows loads of dog-walking space and there are good parks. A little bit closer in, but still not in the centre, is the Bath Road shopping area, almost like a mini town with shops and pubs and a thriving 'local' scene.

There is a choice of good primary schools in and around Leckhampton BUT they are very over-subscribed. Leckhampton has a small catchment area, Naunton Park was traditionally less popular but is so over-subscribed this year that they have added a 'bulge' reception class (making a year of 90) and there is STILL a waiting list.

As far as secondary schools go - beware! Leckhampton is mid-way between 2 excellent secondary schools BUT over the last few years has fallen outside the admissions area for both so children have been allocated less good schools way outside the area. From next year, the admissions arrangements have been tweaked to try to avoid this but unless the new Academy being built near Hester's Way becomes very popular and takes some pressure away from the exisitng schools, I would say that there is likely to be uncertainty about secondary schools for the Leckhampton area (particularly the 'village' area further out of town) into the future.

Pates' Grammar has no catchment area at all - children come in from a very wide radius, up to Worcester and down to Bristol. As a result, it is VASTLY over-subscribed and hyper-selective, I would certainly put no faith in a plan for your child's education that absolutely expected entry there. Children from the Leckhampton area also go to the single-sex Gloucester grammar schools. Children from Bishops' Cleeve would also be eligible for all these grammar schools IF they pass the grammar test.

Hope this helps a bit!

LornaE Fri 13-May-11 08:49:17

Thanks so much for your replies, all helpful stuff....

DollyTwat Fri 13-May-11 09:10:13

As has been said both areas are lOvely.
I'm in prestbury which is also lovely, good schools, great community and in the catchnent for several secondary schools.
Lots of houses available to rent too but expensive to buy

In case you didn't know there's a local meet up
m.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_cheltenham/1207704--SUMMER-2011-Cheltenham-Sumner-Meetup?msgid=25282932

Come and say hello!

bottersnike Sat 28-May-11 09:28:16

Have you made your decision Lorna? I've only just seen this thread, but live in Bishop's Cleeve, and regularly take our puppy for a walk in the dog park behind our house!
I would really recommend the village as a great place to live with small children and a dog.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: