Talk

Advanced search

NCT Early Days course - or other young baby groups?

(5 Posts)
Devonlover Mon 28-Mar-11 17:51:12

I'm having my first baby in 4 weeks time, and I've been trying to decide whether or not to to do the NCT Early Days course which starts late June.

Has anyone else done the NCT postnatal course and if so, what did you think? Is it worth the money or are there other groups out there that are just as good for new mums? My main motivation for going is to meet other very new parents and to hopefully get advice - family live a fair way away. Plus it will force me to get out of the house...

Any thoughts?
Thanks

PhysKids Sat 09-Apr-11 23:06:33

Hi

I have 2 children now aged nearly 4 and nearly 2. I didn't do the NCT early days course or any other specific course, but found that through the health visitor clinics and local mother and toddler groups you meet a lot of other new mums. Generally the best advice I have found is from other people that are going through the same as you!

Have you looked into any baby groups? I am setting up some classes in Worthing:
PhysKids
I am a childrens physiotherapist and the classes will include a post natal fitness combined with early development for baby class. I am aiming to create a very relaxed and friendly environment and included in the class is free tea and coffee afterwards to encourage mums to meet up and use the classes as an oppotunity to chat and support each other.

Hope this helps
Gemma
www.physkids.co.uk

muffintop1000 Fri 15-Apr-11 10:39:20

Hi
I did the early days course - it was good to a point but the group didn't gel as a whole and so it didn't provide the path to friendships that I was hoping.

As something to get you out of the house in the early days it's not a bad idea - and you will get pointers on advice thought the ethos is not prescriptive. You might get luckier than I did in terms of meeting new parents as the mix of people is random luck of the draw and the group wasn't very thoughtful about arranging things to suit and include everyone.

I think there are baby and you groups at the local children's centres where you can meet other new mums - but they do get very busy and are number limited; baby and toddler groups can be good but for the newborn months may be a little less appropriate from my experience.
Things like gymboree might be a good way of meeting other mums tho expensive - but better as it's a regular thing perhaps you could switch to it if the early days and baby and you groups don't turn out as you hope in terms of finding new friends

watzon Tue 19-Apr-11 21:49:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

nettlefairy Sun 12-Jun-11 21:56:33

I recommend Cafe Baby (http://www.brightonandhove-nct.org.uk) - It was a life saver when my dd was a baby and I met some of my best mummy friends there. It's organised by the NCT but very informal and a drop in. Was useful for getting tips on feeding/sleeping etc from the other mums. I actually went when I was still pregnant as I was on maternity leave and bored waiting for the big event!! Not sure where you live but another really good place to meet other mums is Nicholas's nippers on Tuesday mornings at St Nicholas' church (up the hill from churchill square) - think it's on this link - the wednesay group at st michael's also v. good.
http://www.betterdaysout.co.uk/brightonhove/babygroups.php

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: