Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in Heworth/Stockton Lane/Tang Hall

(4 Posts)
natters74 Tue 07-Dec-10 20:17:42

Hi. I have lived in the area for a year and have been to the Stockton Lane toddler group, Tuesday Tots at the Children's Centre and Play and Praise at Heworth Church. My daugter is 2 and just started Stockton Lane playgroup. Am finding it difficult to get past the just saying a quick hello stage with other mums as everyone seems to know each other and have family nearby. Thought I'd try the virtual world to see if there is anyone else out there in a similar situation. Also any tips on how to break the ice with people who seem so tight knit already?

Vanillacandle Wed 08-Dec-10 16:56:13

Hi natters

I'm in North Yorkshire too. We moved when my DD was just 2, and like you the first thing I did was join a toddler group. Fortunately, I was introduced to another mum who had only just started going although she has lived here all her life. We got chatting, became friends, and took over running the group together a year later.

I've found most people here are very friendly once they've had a bit of time to suss you out. It will also help when your DD makes some friends - when she starts mentioning names, see if you can arrange playdates etc. Once other mums are sitting drinking your coffee and eating your biscuits, I'm sure they'll open up.

Are you registered on the MN local for York (there is one!)?

NoahAndTheWhale Wed 08-Dec-10 17:01:49

Hello Not quite where you are - we're in Dunnington but my DD goes to dance in Heworth. I lived in Tang Hall when I was at university in York.

Mine are a bit older than yours - 5 and 7 but I did find that keeping talking to people helps. We moved here in June and have found people very friendly.

There are meetups around York (have been to one) but think the snow halted another one grin

Pootles2010 Thu 09-Dec-10 16:11:58

Hi, I'm bit further out than you but just to say with regards to breaking the ice - just go for it. Always easier with someone who looks a bit on their own, iyswim! But complimenting people's children always works. Similarly, asking their advice is always good! Or if you go to a playgroup, rather than at a childrens centre, volunteer to help out - even if its just helping with washing up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: