Advanced search

Landlord insurance for property let in the UK

(31 Posts)
Superspudable Fri 20-Jan-12 08:07:19

If you have a property let in the UK, who is it insured with?

We have an unfurnished property in the UK which is rented out and it is currently insured with Simple Landlord Insurance. We've just had our renewal quote and it has a new clause which says they cannot insure our property if we are not resident in the UK for more than 183 days - which of course we're not... It's not small print, it's big and bold on the covering letter!!

Any recommendations??

thelittlestkiwi Fri 20-Jan-12 08:14:24

I'm with the National landlords Association. You join for 70 GBP a year and then get a big discount on their affiliated insurance. They were much cheaper than when I lived in the house. I haven't check about being overseas but they post my stuff here.

Superspudable Fri 20-Jan-12 08:41:03

Thanks for the reply littlestkiwi

Approximately how much is your insurance on top of the 70 GBP if you don't mind me asking?

We've had several unexpected expenses on our house, none of which have been claimable so it seems a bit like it is insurance for the sake of it iykwim...

thelittlestkiwi Fri 20-Jan-12 08:54:04

I think it is about 220 GBP a year. That's a three bed terrace but we didn't insure the contents. We're mostly bothered about fire etc as I agree small things aren't economic to claim for. I think stuff like your fitted kitchen etc come under buildings.

Our house insurance in NZ has just increased by 250 GBP so the UK seems bloody cheap. We're paying for the earthquake.

CornishMade Fri 20-Jan-12 10:46:05

We use Alan Boswell Landlord insurance. I don't know if it's the best, or best value - we haven't had to claim anything in two years. Seems quite pricey but we didn't have time to shop around! And it covers contents like the carpets, fittings, fridge etc which buildings doesn't (ie we have buildings and contents with them).

Superspudable Fri 20-Jan-12 16:12:08

Great thanks both!

Just compared quotes and Alan Boswell comes out quite reasonable.

Any other recommendations?

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 20-Jan-12 16:51:13

Letsure was the one we used. Ours was a two bed terrace unfurnished. IIRC it cost us around £50 a month for contents and buildings.

natation Fri 20-Jan-12 18:08:01

We are with Direct Line, 4 bed in small provincial town, less than £200 a year, buildings only as the tenant pays for contents.

CornishMade Fri 20-Jan-12 22:24:25

If you don't get landlords contents insurance, just be aware that buildings insurance only won't cover the curtains/blinds, carpets/flooring, kitchen, white goods, lights, or any other built-in thing like wardrobes etc, if there were a fire or other damage to them. So Landlords contents insurance covers those things, but it's not a full contents insurance for possessions - that is up to the tenants to buy for their own stuff.

natation Fri 20-Jan-12 22:38:08

Our insurance policy covers anything which cannot be moved - I am rather attached to my Dutch Elm floor - you cannot buy it now, it has been there a long time, no insurance could cover it being replaced as it cannot be, I'm not sure how we could claim for it :-( The only thing we have left in the house which is not covered are the blinds and curtains, most of which came with the house, but I have noticed many have been taken down anyway - we have an excellent tenant who has made the house nicer than it was, we told her she could do what she wanted as long as it wasn't black or dark brown!

JuliaJeanne Mon 23-Jan-12 23:36:26

We use Endsleigh Landlords' Insurance and are not resident in the UK. It works out at about 460pounds per annum to insure a large (5 bed) London terrace. I don't know how it compares with other policies - it was competitive when we started and I've got a bit lazy about shopping around...

IdontknowwhyIcare Tue 24-Jan-12 08:09:31

We used Alan Boswell, competitive and very very helpful.

scaryteacher Wed 25-Jan-12 19:05:49

I use Aviva, and am not in the UK.

Imperfectionist Wed 25-Jan-12 21:14:02

Marsh insurance. They specialise in looking after British expats overseas, and we also insure our overseas belongings with them. They have paid out in full for several claims over the year, without hesitation or much paperwork. Excellent customer service, it's a pleasure to recommend them (makes a change - I wouldn't say the same about our letting agents!)

Imperfectionist Wed 25-Jan-12 21:14:51

Over the years, sorry, not year. Link here

Imperfectionist Wed 25-Jan-12 21:15:50

Sorry, one more detail why I recommend Marsh - they've paid out in full on two cases of accidental damage by tenants, which really saved us a lot of money.

Kellywestie Thu 26-Jan-12 16:27:36

We have several rental properties and use an insurance broker called B. Portwood & Co Ltd who are based in Bishop Auckland. We have always had excellent service and letters to say if they have found cheaper insurance when renewals come up. Would definitely recommend. We live in the UK and have moved our home insurance to them as well. Would be worth a call or email to see if they can help you.

Superspudable Fri 10-Feb-12 18:56:23

Thanks for the advise all - went with Alan Boswell in the end, which is an Aviva policy. Came out well price-wise for good cover!

westcoastnortherner Sat 11-Feb-12 06:38:33

We had one through nationwide

nicolam86 Thu 29-Mar-12 10:39:04

I got a really good deal through Buy To Let Landlord Solutions.

tkj123tracy Sun 02-Feb-14 14:01:48

Has anyone ever used Just Landlords Insurance? Were they any good?

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 02-Feb-14 21:38:28

We've used sainsburys landlord insurance for about 6 years now, we have buildings and contents as it's a semi furnished lease. Our rebuild cost is really high as it's a listed building but sainsbos have unlimited rebuild costs. It's pretty reasonable.

ZamMummyInGabs Mon 03-Feb-14 14:42:40

We also use Portwood in Bishop Auckland (4 years) & found them to be excellent on renewals & with claims.

Isthiscorrect Mon 03-Feb-14 16:26:58

We use Alan Boswell and have done for the last 7 years. Dh shops around every year and compares quotes and tells AB. They insure 2 houses for us a three bed stone terrace and a 5 bed detached. We have never had to claim but they are very helpful. When my elderly mother forgot to renew they sent me an email asking me to check with her she had new coverage as they weren't getting a reply (I had paid online for her). And they kept the coverage in place whilst I tracked my mum down and then made the payment.

Frozenatchristmas Tue 04-Feb-14 19:13:36

We used Aviva when we lived abroad.

For those who use direct line, just a word of warning, they do not include or have as an additional extra malicious damage cover - therefore, if a tenant trashes the place, you are not covered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now