Talk

Advanced search

A question for Aussie mums.....

(9 Posts)
Mellin Wed 07-Oct-09 15:29:47

Aussie mums - are there any decent parenting forums in Australia, ala Mumsnet?

We are moving to Sydney at the end of the year and I have lots of questions...where to live, childcare, etc.

Any recommendations for good web resources?

Thanks

gottasmile Wed 07-Oct-09 22:37:06

Try bubhub, it's pretty good!

sunnydelight Thu 08-Oct-09 01:47:21

Britishexpats is good for lots of general advice on where to live/schools/childcare etc. It's nothing like mumsnet but lots of families use it. There are various meet ups organised - it's a good place to start meeting mums with kids and it helps being with people who have all been in the same boat at some point. We're in Sydney and I (and my kids) have made some good friends through it.

The freebie mag "Sydneys Child" is worth picking up (from libraries, toyshops etc.) when you're here. It's a bit like ABC mag in England.

Mellin Fri 09-Oct-09 09:19:33

Thanks ladies!

ninedragons Fri 09-Oct-09 09:27:56

essentialbaby.com.au is the gorilla in the local market but it's full of bogans.

There are loads of Aussie mumsnetters - you just don't notice us because we're the night shift. You're much better to post your questions late at night when we are on line and we'll sort you out.

Mellin Fri 09-Oct-09 12:09:05

ninedragons - your post made me laugh. I found essentialbaby via the SMH website and thought exactly the same thing after reading a few comments. Definitely not the calibre of MN!

I will try posting during the night shift to catch the MN Oz contingent. Cheers.

brightongirldownunder Sat 10-Oct-09 06:39:38

nined - love your stance on essentialbaby!! Get in touch woman - I think I'm about to be booted out of Aus for my drunken bad mouthings on here last night!
Mellin - there's actually quite a big group of us out here - you'll never be alone! Both NineD and me are in Sydney and are always looking for new drinking partners! Where are you moving to?

ninedragons Sat 10-Oct-09 06:59:01

Well hello! Welcome back!

I am working like a galley slave (there's a very good reason You-Know-Where makes so much bloody money - they work us until our poor little fingers are worn down to stubs from typing on computers) but deffo up for a drinkie in the next few weeks.

brightongirldownunder Sat 10-Oct-09 13:30:15

i'll text you ND! Sorry for butting in, Mellin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now