Advanced search

BELGIAN MNers and anyone else: DCs travelling with grandparents?

(12 Posts)
Geocentric Mon 05-Oct-09 00:38:04

I'm hoping someone can help out: my bil's family lives in Belgium, and my pil's are planning a trip out there to look after the girls (7 and 4) while their parents travel (work related). As pil's have already been over and visited the area earlier this year, they were thinking this time round to take the girls over to England for a couple of days. Does anyone know what sort of documentation the girls would need from their parents/local gov to authorize this?

Geocentric Mon 05-Oct-09 00:41:37

Just explaining further - I'm just gathering preliminary info, as my sil/bil have a lot on their plate right now; that way when my mil asks them if its ok to take the girls to England she will have all the info at her fingertips, so to speak, to make my sil's life easier!!! (in case anyone is wondering what business this is of mine grin)

Portofino Mon 05-Oct-09 09:41:33

I know that they would need something in writing from the parents - definitely. Technically I need DH's permission in writing to take dd back to UK without him.

My dd has been away - within Belgium - with a specialist kids holiday company. The paperwork included a form that had to been completed and stamped by the local commune, giving permission for dcs to travel OUTSIDE Belgium without their parents. So I would think that may well be necessary. It shouldn't be that complicated.

Geocentric Mon 05-Oct-09 11:50:48

Great, thanks Portofino. So I'm guessing their commune may have a specific form to fill out... Seems like sil will have another trip over to the local bureaucrats then, she'll enjoy that... wink

Portofino Mon 05-Oct-09 15:37:45

They like their forms here! I have to get one done by the commune showing our family set up (for the school). My commune will ONLY speak to me in Dutch. I'm not looking forward to going. grin

Geocentric Mon 05-Oct-09 15:41:03

Hmmm, yes, the language issues, she's plenty of trouble with that. Sounds fun!!! grin

Geocentric Mon 05-Oct-09 15:42:34

(btw, I have told her there are lots of Belgian MNers on here, but she very wisely says she spends too much time on the internet as it is, without becoming addicted to MN!! Wish I was that wise...)

Geocentric Mon 05-Oct-09 15:43:27

oops, meant MNers in Belgium, not Belgian MNers, of course!!! (which here may be, too. Will step away now and stop making even more of a muddle)

scaryteacher Tue 06-Oct-09 23:25:50

I would have thought a signed letter from the parents with contact details should be enough for the authorities. Don't see if they are not Belgian nationals, why the Gemeente would need to be involved?

Geocentric Wed 07-Oct-09 01:39:48

Its just that some countries can be a PITA, scaryteacher. I'm in Brazil - to travel abroad with only one parent or without parents (regardless of your nationality) you have to get a notarized authorization with photos, etc. They're really strict about it. So mil was worried it was going to be a hassle in Belgium. smile

scaryteacher Thu 08-Oct-09 01:14:57

The trouble won't be from the Belgians, but from the Brits if they travel by Eurostar, or the French when they bring them back by the same method.

My Mum brought my nephews over to Brussels from UK twice, and had a letter from my brother saying it was OK. There was no hassle at all.

Geocentric Thu 08-Oct-09 14:36:31

Thanks, ST!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: