Talk

Advanced search

Oh no! Missed out on cheap flights home for Christmas and now I don't know how we're going to get there

(9 Posts)
castille Sat 12-Sep-09 09:11:01

Last time I checked, flights weren't yet on sale for Christmas. Don't know when they came online but on the route we usually take, the cost is over 800 eurosshock for us to fly to the UK from France.

And I really don't want to have to take the ferry, not in December.

What are we going to dooooooo?

franke Sat 12-Sep-09 09:13:08

Chunnel?

castille Sat 12-Sep-09 09:22:22

We did it once but it's a 6+ hour drive each end... knackering. DH said never again.

franke Sat 12-Sep-09 09:28:30

Yuk. I'm with your dh on that one.

Airports slightly further away and hire a car?

Bucharest Sat 12-Sep-09 09:33:47

Lyingair won't be putting their cheapo Christmas time flight up yet.
Are you near a Lyingair airport?
I'm in Italy and usually book mine mid-Nov

Cies Sat 12-Sep-09 09:39:29

We're going to be buying ours late this year as pfb is due 12th November and we're going to have to see how I'm /we're doing after that and then decide whether /when to fly over etc.

Also will have to get an ID card for baby to be able to fly. For some reason Spain require you to put in your ID card /passport number when you book a flight to or from Spain, so we will have to get this sorted asap.

Agree with look up alternative routes. Or alternative dates.

castille Sat 12-Sep-09 09:43:15

Have checked Lyingair through gritted teeth and their Christmas flights are available (book yours now Bucharest!) and although not bankrupting are still a bit eye-watering for the dates we need.

But a small part of me would rather stay at home than travel with them again, they are so bloody-minded. Airports not convenient and flight times horrifically late - awful for my 3yo.

I need some ruby slippers.

castille Sat 12-Sep-09 09:47:42

Cies - when DD2 was born late Nov I applied for a passport for her as soon as I got out of hospital on 6 December and the British embassy in Paris sent it in a week! I booked the flights that day.

Dates are a pain - DH only has a week off so we can't be particularly flexible. We need to hire a car wherever we fly to as there are 5 of us so can't be collected in a normal car by family.

My Visa card is already feeling twinges of pain.

Portofino Tue 15-Sep-09 09:50:08

LOL at ruby slippers! DH doesn't even want to DISCUSS Xmas yet, and my Visa card is maxed out. Really I want to go and book in a hotel in the Ardennes and stuff myself with nice food. But I haven't been back to Blighty all year so feel a bit mean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now