Talk

Advanced search

Calling Mums in Australia!

(4 Posts)
MrsWatson Fri 11-Sep-09 10:31:27

I'd like to get advice from any mums living in Australia or thinking of moving.

My husband is an engineer and we're in the process of applying for a visa. I'll be a stay at home mum as I have a school aged daughter and a little boy who's only 18months.

We are thinking of Sydney, but I'd like to hear from people anywhere in Australia. What is it like for mums? Do they have toddler groups? Where are the best places to live for schools etc?

Thank you.

smugaboo Fri 11-Sep-09 11:54:44

Hi MrsWatson,
I didn't want to leave you hanging here by yourself so I thought I'd say hi. It's wine o'clock here in Sydney so mums with actual lives might be out tearing up the town.

I don't know if I can help you actually. I'm not from the UK - I'm a Sydney girl who lives in Sydney (with an English husband, which is why I was drawn to mumsnet I guess), so my perspective will be different to someone who has moved here and had the experience of setting up a home. They will tend to see my home town through a different perspective, which is understandable of course.

Anyway, any nitty gritty questions (locations, good/bad restaurants, history, local vernacular, social norms, local bird life, how to stop possums eating your trees, which spiders are dangerous, how to fight off sharks (hit them on the nose! just kidding!)) can be chucked my way. But to answer your first question - loads of toddler groups. Everyone in this town has a baby (or so it seems!)

MrsWatson Fri 11-Sep-09 14:40:41

Thank you smugaboo! I've just been doing some research on families in Australia and have come across an interesting article that I might put onto the chat page as I think it interests all mums. It basically says that Australia is the best place to raise a family, which is heartening! lol!

What are schools like in Sydney? Mine will be in primary, but in general, are education standards high?

MrsWatson Fri 11-Sep-09 16:00:28

Sorry, I guess I should have linked that article shouldn't I? It's here. I've started a group on there for mothers in australia - come and say hello so I don't feel so lonely:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now