Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Melbourne, Australia... where is your

(9 Posts)
LIttleMissTickles Tue 01-Sep-09 21:07:12

Wimbledon of London? ie easy commute to the city, leafy, decent shopping, plenty to do with children, and GOOD SCHOOLS????

We are looking at where to move to, and would appreciate any comments/advice.

Thank you

Wigeon Tue 01-Sep-09 22:34:33

Are you in Melbourne and are thinking of moving to Wimbledon? (sorry to be thick). I lived there for a bit pre-children in a rented flat. Quick thoughts:

*pretty quick trains into London. I commuted in every day.
*tube (slower) for when the trains are up the spout
*one of the most expensive parts of London in terms of house prices (particularly the bit called Wimbledon Village, ie around Wimbledon High Road and the High Street)
*lovely lovely Common to walk around. Very leafy indeed. Cannizaro Park also very pretty and nice for a stroll.
*Decent shopping (all the main chains) around the tube station and posh shopping in Wimbledon Village
*Quite a few private schools if that's what you mean by "good schools"? Don't know about the state schools but given the catchment area is largely posh / middle-class I would imagine their results are good.

Have you tried looking on Google Street View just to give you a sense of the area?

LIttleMissTickles Wed 02-Sep-09 09:52:50

That is what happens when one allows MRTickles to post a question!!!!

The Tickles family currently lives in Wimbledon (not the Village!), we are thinking of moving to Melbourne, Australia. As we love the beauty and convenience of Wimbledon, we were wondering which areas around Melbourne offer similar.

So far we are just trying to get a 'feel' for Melbourne online, planning to go and have a look in a few months' time.

Wigeon Wed 02-Sep-09 22:24:42

Oh, woops! Have no idea about Melbourne I'm afraid! Probably lots of barbies and friendly Neighbours?!

mrgumpy Mon 07-Sep-09 03:34:20

Canterbury?

mrgumpy Mon 07-Sep-09 03:35:03

Malvern?

lulalullabye Mon 07-Sep-09 05:25:17

Brighton and by the sea. If you go to bayside you can get into the city in less that 30 mins, so shopping not something to stop you moving to an area. We live in Hampton and love it !

thighsmadeofcheddar Mon 07-Sep-09 07:13:13

Yes agree, Brighton. Very leafy, close to St Kilda, easy to get into city.
My Aunt and Uncle live there and it's great. We love visiting.

SueW Mon 07-Sep-09 07:28:12

Yes, Brighton.

We lived in Sandringham, same train line, end of the line and loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now