Talk

Advanced search

Should we emigrate to Canada?

(4 Posts)
abif2 Sun 30-Aug-09 21:45:34

Hi, we live in South East of England and are thinking of applying to emigrate to Canada using skilled worker visa. We have 3 year old dd.

Should we do it? Will life be cheaper there?

We like Vancouver but could go anywhere job permitting! Trying to work out whether it will improve our quality and way of life or will be new situation and same problems?

I work part time here but wont be able to work there as job not transferable but could be after a years course. We just about make ends meet here but hope it may be easier there. Am i being naive?

Were would people recommend living? Any comments gratefully received!

thirtypence Sun 30-Aug-09 21:55:23

Have you got any other reasons beyond believing Canada to be cheaper?

Wouldn't moving to the North of England be cheaper, fewer travel expenses to see family, you could do your job without retraining...

abif2 Sun 30-Aug-09 22:03:44

Hi,sorry did not make clear in message!

I grew up abroad and always found ways to work abroad as student etc. Now have dd, dont want to make a rash decision. If just dh and I, I would go straight away.

We have talked about moving up north, but would still have itchy feet. I am not good at staying in one place for too long and want a new way of life/experiences.

But wary that will move over there and find life is too hard financially which will stop us from enjoying all there is to see.

We were at end stage of application 2 yrs ago but family illness then death forced us to cancel our application. Now would like to try again, but more wary.

I thought other peoples experiences may add information to our decision.Such a big decision and dont want to get it wrong!

thirtypence Sun 30-Aug-09 23:35:48

That makes a lot more sense - it would be a very bad thing to move and then realise that it did not stack up financially.

Your dd at 3 I would think is a great time to do it. It will get harder as she starts school. Ds is 6.5 and I wouldn't want to move him now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now