Talk

Advanced search

Manx mummies, helencw77, Ixia, and LadyIsabella.

(2 Posts)
TheGashlycrumbTinies Thu 27-Aug-09 20:38:20

Hi, you all very kindly gave me information and thoughts on moving to the IOM.

We went over there for a flying visit last weekend, just to get a feel for the place as DH has been offered a job at Nobles Hospital.

I don't really know what we were expecting, I suppose a bit of Jersey, with more spectacular scenery, and more space. We have been told by lots of people it is a fantastic place to bring up a family and that it is incredibly friendly, which we did find.

We thought that the weekend would be enough of a taster to know if it is somewhere that we could live, but it wasn't. We actually came away with more questions than we arrived with.

So I was wondering if you could help me out with a few?

We do have a young family and really enjoy spending time together as a family, we currently live in a village in the Cotswolds, but are close to Cheltenham, and use it for shopping and entertainment, DD's like nothing better than spending an hour in the bookshops followed by hot chocolate and a pastry.DD 1 is also a member of the Pony Club and I know this is very active on the IOM.

DH and I were, pre DD's, both BSAC divers and that is obviously open to us, and I have found a ceramic studio I could use.

We all like to go out for walks on the beach or in the countryside, and were lucky enough to see seals on the beach in Peel, that almost swung it for us!

We do like to eat out as a family in good places, we found The Garison in Castletown last Sunday, and enjoyed it, my friends who live in Laxey also mentioned the Courthouse in Douglas. But in such a short time we didn't really get the chance to find any others. I'm sure there are lot's.

We also made it to Tynwald Mills (sp) and found the type of shops we like. We liked the area around there, is it St. Johns? and Peel.

So knowing this relatively limited information on us as a family can you suggest places we should go to on our next trip there, the trip will be a make or break one, so any information would be gratefully received.

TheGashlycrumbTinies Fri 28-Aug-09 07:55:44

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now