Talk

Advanced search

French manners

(3 Posts)
FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 06-Aug-09 15:58:06

We are going to France on Saturday for two weeks and have been invited to stay with a former colleague of my DH's and his family for a night.

If you live in France, could you please let me know what would be considered polite to take along as a gift? I would normally take a lovely bunch of flowers and perhaps a gift for each child. I was thinking of getting something very English and taking it out with us, but space is an issue.

Also, do we take wine or will that be considered a deep insult?

BonsoirAnna Thu 06-Aug-09 16:10:06

I wouldn't bother with wine (we are drowning in it in this country).

A gift for each child is a very good idea - what age are the children? If they were primary aged, I would take the three original Charlie & Lola books and/or a DVD or two - they are brilliant for learning English and all children in France learn English these days.

For the parents the Duchy Originals range of biscuits etc would be nice and safe.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 06-Aug-09 16:28:01

I will check the ages of children - I think that they are little ones. Books are always a lovely gift. There's an author called Kim Lewis whose wonderful children's books feature our local countryside, so I may go for one or two of those or failing that 'Charlie and Lola'.

I will get hold of some Duchy Originals goodies. Thank you, BonsoirAnna.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now