Talk

Advanced search

Halifax, Canada - we are moving there - can anyone tell me anything about it (apart from it snows alot?)

(8 Posts)
MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 15-Jul-09 19:19:18

We are moving to Halifax Nova Scotia which is an area I know very little about. Need to find a house and school for my dd age 5.
My DH is going to be working at Dalhousie Hospital so somewhere around there would be great to live as think we will only be able to get one car.

Would really appreciate any advice on nice family friendly areas etc! smile

MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 15-Jul-09 20:18:48

As this is a very niche topic will keep bumping!

midnightexpress Wed 15-Jul-09 20:21:59

Oh, one of my friends moved to NS from Scotland earlier this year. Not Halifax - Martin's River (I think it's called), but will ask her if you like? Think she may be on hols at the moment, but I'll FB her. When are you moving?

She loves it by the way. Hope you're not doing what she did - buy a house in summer, move there in January and find that it's -20 degrees. Break yourself in gently!

MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 15-Jul-09 20:27:36

Thank you!ME, will keep looking at this one and look forward to hearing any words of wisdom.

And yes, we can't go out till Jan so preparing to go to TKmaxx and buying up many snowsuits!

midnightexpress Wed 15-Jul-09 20:32:34

No probs. Are you CAT-able? It might be easier to get her to email you if she has any advice? Anyway, I'll mark this thread and let you know if I hear anything useful back from her.

MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 15-Jul-09 20:33:34

Don't even know what a CAT is!! I am such a

midnightexpress Wed 15-Jul-09 20:49:31

Oh sorry, it means 'contact another talker' and it's a way to send a message to another MNer off-board via MN. Basically, they send yor email message and then you can reply directly by email. It costs about a fiver a year I think. Anyhoo, we'll sort summat out grin.

JeMeSouviens Wed 15-Jul-09 20:55:56

We are in Montreal which is NOWHERE near Nova Scotia, but I wanted to reassure you about the winters. They are completely manageable, even those odd -40c days. You will need the duck down type coats/winter suits. Northface are very adequate and you should be able to get over there. GAP kids over here did snow pants and jacket reasonably priced too, they may or may not do it over there. I recommend a balaclava for your DD as well to keep neck/face warm, those microfleece type ones, easier than a scarf if out playing. And the mittens with strings attached, to save the dropping and losing of them, and the "what do I do with these now I've taken them off to go in this super hot shop"

If you can, I'd wait until you get here to buy your main things though, as they are rated for the weather, whereas things available in the UK may not be.

All the best with it. I'm sure you'll enjoy the adventure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now