Talk

Advanced search

Help! Moving to PARIS in the autumn...

(21 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Sat 11-Jul-09 22:18:56

...still reeling from the shock and short notice and now wondering about schools and where to live. Slightly inclined to put DD1 in British School as she is almost 11, but should I put DD2 (8) there as well, or try for one of the bilingual schools?

And where to live? <wails>

ILovePudding Sat 11-Jul-09 23:02:55

I lived in Paris for 6 years between the ages of 12 and 18 and went to the British School. It's a fantastic school and I loved it there. It's small size meant that I built a really good relationship with the teachers. It's very multicultural and I made friends from all over the world. There were fantastic sporting oppotunities, the hockey and rugby teams travelled all over europe to play other international schools. I went to Rome for a week on a theatre workshop. There were also school plays, choir, orchestra etc.

On the other hand, I had friends who went to the International School, and the academic achievement there seemed to be really high, probably higher standards to the BSP, with the additional bonus becoming bilingual.

I would think about whether you want to separate your dd's when you are uprooting to a foreign country, or whether they would be happier going to the same school. It's certainly not too late to send your 11yo to the international school, if you find that the better option.

We lived in the South West in a village called Bailly, about 5 kms from Versaille (me and sister used to cycle to the palace gardens in the summer for picnics). I think the closest train station on the SNCF was Noisy-le-Roi. A lot of my friends lived in and around St Nom la Breteche. The BSP used to organise private coaches to school and these villages were on the bus routes, plus the HM at the time lived in our village which influenced my parents choice of where to live.

I could go on and on. I loved living in Paris, it's a unique and exciting opportunity. And you're close to the UK if you feel homesick.

I lived there 20 years ago, so much will have changed. I'm sure whichever school you choose, they will be happy to give you further advice on choosing places to live etc. My parents went out for a week before we moved there to check out different areas and find a house. Good luck and hope the experience is as positive for your family as it was for me! grin

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-09 23:04:04

wow MrsSF, how come?

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 11-Jul-09 23:12:58

I applied for a job and got it! Bunged the application in, last minute, did truly crap phone interview and they rang me up on Friday and offered me the job!

Pudding, that's really helpful, thanks. Have also had a look at the ISP website, and this is something we are also thinking of. DD1 has set her heart on BSP (she went to BS Brussels for 5 years), seemingly for no better reason than it has riding as an extra activity. hmm

foxinsocks Sat 11-Jul-09 23:21:54

ah well done you!

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 11-Jul-09 23:43:47

Thank you! Hope I can cope with the job - slightly wondering what I have let myself in for!

Swedes Sun 12-Jul-09 00:00:24

MrsS - congrats on the job. How long might you be out there for? If short period then BS best option, but if you are going to settle there much longer term, a bilingual school might be preferable/beneficial?

Where is your new office situated?

AitchTwoOh Sun 12-Jul-09 00:02:35

what is the joooooob? i'm v jealous.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 12-Jul-09 18:52:36

International organisation, Aitch.
Swedes - will be there for four years. DD1 about to go into Yr 6 (last year of primary).

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 12-Jul-09 18:53:47

ISP no longer seems to be bilingual. Hmmm...

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 12-Jul-09 18:54:34

Have been told not a cat in hell's chance of getting DDs into one of the bilingual schools as long waiting lists. May also look at the American School.

BriocheDoree Mon 13-Jul-09 16:01:41

I live very close to the British school (although my kids go to French school). It's nice round here - most of the W. suburbs are nice. However, if you're only here for a short time it might be more fun to be in Paris. Depends on your budget really! If you want a house, try Le Vésinet, Croissy-sur-Seine, Chatou, Saint Germain en Laye - all fairly close to the British school. If you want to be in Paris, try looking at EAB and EABJM. I can't tell you anything about them but there are other posters on here whose kids go there. I think they keep a few places open for kids arriving in September.
Also, if your DD wants to do horse riding, there are LOTS of riding clubs here - my DD goes every Saturday grin

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 13-Jul-09 20:14:32

Brioche - that's really helpful, thank you. I will need easy access to Paris for work, so near RER/metro will be essential...

frAKKINPannikin Tue 14-Jul-09 21:29:03

You will probably be able to sneak into EAB or EABJM if you contact them ASAP. They have to keep places open and as an EMT epxat you stand a good chance getting her in. She will have to do adaptation if she's not already functionally fluent in French but I know EABJM does an excellent one. If she goes to one of the bilingual schools she goes into CM2 which, if she's at EABJM, means she will do compulsory Chinese as well. EAB do Spanish, I think. Your DD2 will just be starting Chinese if she goes to EABJM; EAB I can't comment.

EABJM I think very highly of - I have a charge there at the moment and my DH2Bs sister went there for Lycee (and came out with 45 for her IB)

ISP is not bilingual but is very good and I wouldn't personally recommend the American school.

Where do you like the idea of living? Do you prefer the idea of central Paris (living in an appartment) or suburbs (house and garden)? If in the Western suburbs there's also the Lycee International.

Le Vesinet is lovely, I know it very well and there's a good expat community there. Major expat areas in the centre are the 17th (fairly British), 7th (more American) and 16th (a real mix!).

My charge is 8 - if your DD2 ends up at EABJM and would like to meet someone before she starts, or in fact if she would just like a bilingaul friend the same age and doesn't mind hanging out with boys then let me know! There are quite a few of us around here (7th arr.) with charges the same age as your DD2.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 15-Jul-09 13:08:31

Thanks, Frannikin. We are (well the children are!) moving there in December, so will start the new school term in January, which might be why we have advised that there may be problems.

Will definitely look at ISP as well (and maybe not the American school...).

No idea where we might live - your suggestions are really helpful. DH wants to live in town, but I would rather have a house and small garden on the edge.

dilbertina Thu 16-Jul-09 12:44:23

Hi, my dd is due to start at the British School in Sept at the Bougival site. We had a look around and it seemed lovely - although the junior schools from both croissy and bougival move to a new site in croissy next year.

We went for the British School because we wanted to live out of the centre and have garden etc. (Have found a house in Bougival about 10 min walk from school - and about 15mins from train) plus DD has just finished reception here, and since we are only planning to be in France for 2-3 years we didn't want her to get too out of synch with British system. I would prob. have looked at it differently if we were staying longer. They do have a French lesson every day so I'm hoping she'll pick some up!

Will be able to update you what the BSP is like in a couple of months!

BriocheDoree Thu 16-Jul-09 19:09:57

Hi Dilbertina,
If you're moving to Bougival, you should look me up when you arrive! I'm t'other side of town to the school. Think my kids are younger than yours but would be happy to meet for coffee and show you around when you first get here grin.

Brio.

frAKKINPannikin Thu 16-Jul-09 19:57:12

If you're a Jan start then ISP is probably your best bet but having said that I know that EABJM keeps its status as an ecole internationale by accepting newcomes which should hold true at any point in the year...in theory.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 16-Jul-09 19:57:30

Oooh! We can have a Paris Mumsnet meet up! smile

I am still waiting for my letter of appointment as I can't do anything until I get that. angry

Dilbertina - my two went to the British School of Brussels and learned a lot less French than I would have hoped for...

dilbertina Fri 17-Jul-09 22:25:10

Ah well MrsS, since 5yo dd is currently vehemently insisting she'll NEVER speak French, or indeed speak to anyone who might possibly be French, perhaps I'm on to a loser anyway! (She also decided to be a vegetarian last week, until I pointed out she might have to start eating vegetables in that caes...)Good luck with getting everything sorted, would be great to meet up if you end up in same area.

Brio, would really appreciate a friendly face when we arrive! DD1 is 5.5, DS is nearly 3 (but seems to have teenage angst already...) and finally DD2 is 3 months. We'll be on "Rue Capitain Thuilleaux". If you don't mind I will chase you up when we arrive!

BriocheDoree Sat 18-Jul-09 06:30:44

OK, email me when you arrive brioche90 at gmail dot com

Happy moving!

Brio

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now