Talk

Advanced search

Emigrating to New Zealand -- Medical Needed?

(8 Posts)
ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 11-Jun-09 13:52:15

Does anyone know about emigrating to NZ and whether one needs a medical? Is it difficult to pass? Friends are hoping to emigrate, and are concerned about it....

TIA smile

Highlander Thu 11-Jun-09 14:02:41

yes, full medical needed. And police checks

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 11-Jun-09 14:10:06

Thank you! Any idea of what sorts of things people have been rejected for, (medical wise)

Lizzylou Thu 11-Jun-09 14:13:08

WE had one 2 years ago (but couldn't sell house, so are staying here, sob).
It is pretty full on and expensive iirc.
Chest X-Ray/ Various blood tests, Height/Weight/medical history from your GP.
We all passed OK though.

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 11-Jun-09 14:38:29

So, BMI could possible stop someone from emigrating? Friend is massively overweight with problems with blood pressure.

madwomanintheattic Thu 11-Jun-09 14:39:37

try the british expats forum. there is a board for nz. i think bmi q's come up quite a lot.

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 11-Jun-09 14:40:28

Oh, thanks! smile

Lizzylou Thu 11-Jun-09 15:33:05

Sorry, school run!
When I went for my medical I was still carrying a lot of baby weight (and am not a slim jim at the best of times), if your BMI is high (and mine was) then you have to have an extra blood test. Mine came back fine.
The high blood pressure may be a cause for concern.
If she is really serious about emigrating then she could always look at losing some weight/getting fit, she'd have about 3/4mths notice anyway I would have thought.
My Mom recently lost 3 stone and her asthma and arthritis have all but disappeared, it's amazing how weight can affect your health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now