Advanced search

Moving back to the UK after 6+ years...HELP!

(26 Posts)
hollyhobbie Mon 11-May-09 10:19:50

Just what the title says, really: I don't have a clue about child-related things in the UK, when I left I didn't have kids, now I'm a mum of 2!

How do I get a place at a school (DD is 4)? Do we just get a GP or is there a separate doctor for kids? (ie, should 2 year old DS still be seeing a HV?)

Any other advice?

fizzpops Mon 11-May-09 11:58:28

My DD is only 1yo but as far as schools go I am starting to look into it. A lot of schools (All?) have websites so if you know where you are going to be living you can research the schools in the area. The websites will also tell you the admissions policy and Ofsted should give you some idea of it's performance.

My DD just goes to the GP when she is ill although we have the number for the HV have never had to call as all her ailments/ jabs/ check ups have been via the GPs surgery. I guess if your DS needs a HV then the GP will arrange it in any case.

I am an utter novice. I am sure someone else will be able to offer more advice.

stickylittlefingers Mon 11-May-09 12:11:38

your local authority's website should have all the info about schools entry, i.e. the one my oldest goes to was really popular, so you had to get your form in by a certain date then all the places were gone, so it would tell you which still had places etc.

When we moved back I just registered with a GP and then a HV came out to visit and explained what dd1 would have had had we been living in the UK and checked that she'd got all her jabs etc (helpfully our Irish GP had photocopied her records so I could just hand over a wad of documents for her to be getting on with!) - it all seemed to be quite automatic, tho I daresay it might be different depending on where you live (a feature of the UK !).

I don't know, obviously, if you're filthy rich or what, but if getting the child benefit in is important, I would try and get your claim in asap when you know your entry date into the UK, because it took ages.

Also, even tho your children weren't born here, they should get their child trust funds with the dosh from the government. Sort of a bonus, except the shares being worth so little now it doesn't look quite so enticing, but still, it's free cash for them which might be worth something when they're 18.

Blu Mon 11-May-09 12:15:35

Eek - will your DD be starting school in September?

School is going to be an issue unless you are moving to an area where schools are undersubscribed. Are you planning state or private?

I would choose a general area, then look at where the satisfactory and good schools are, and call them and see if they think they will have places for September. Then move v v close to that school!

hollyhobbie Mon 11-May-09 18:24:18

Thanks all. Yes, DD will be starting reception in Sept. I called a school directly today but was referred to the local authority who just about managed not to snigger at us. Ho hum.

We didn't even decide which area of the UK it was going to be until last week (DH had 3 different job opportunities), but in retrospect I should have contacted all three education authorities aggggeeees ago.

Do we really get child trust funds?! I thought that was just when you were born in the UK... My dad is a super-organised man who has already got us child benefit forms so we'll be filling those in ASAP too.

<Sigh> This is the 3rd European country I've researched all of this type of stuff in and so far the only advantage is that it's all in English!

hollyhobbie Mon 11-May-09 20:11:34

(hoping someone in the evening crew can add anything)

NoMoreNagging Tue 12-May-09 06:34:12

We're moving back too, this week infact! I am surprised that they weren't helpful at the school you spoke to as I was told my 2 could start straight away, no problem and I didn't even have to get in touch with the LEA. Try emailing the schools directly maybe? That's what I did.

If you have had any sort of child benefit where you live now in Europe, you will need to cancel it and get a letter to prove that they won't be paying it to you anymore. You can only get child benefit in UK when they have proof that you aren't getting it from where you just came from.

Oh and I totally agree, it's so nice to have all the information in English again isn't it? However complicated it is, I can understand it all at last!

SamJamsmum Tue 12-May-09 07:09:47

Just register with a GP and don't bother contacting the HV.
There's not a huge amount different you could have done about schools anyway as you wouldn't have been able to apply without an address. A huge amount depends on what the situation is locally to you. Where I am there are one or two massively popular schools, 2 or 3 fairly decent and some dire ones with spaces.
However going on a waiting list for a massively popular school at this stage actually has some point because people peel off to private school and spaces open up over the coming months.

Blu Tue 12-May-09 10:55:48

Where, roughly, is the job going to be?

Hopfully MN-ers can advise you on commutable areas with good undersubscribed schools nearby.

kitbit Tue 12-May-09 11:04:13

[[ this web site]] is extremely useful! We're doing the same thing, going back for ds to start reception in Sept. You cannot apply for a school until you are actually resident in the UK, with a confirmed address. (To stop people picking the more desirable schools and promising to live in the next road...but then not doing so I suppose!). So...when you get there, go to the LEA and apply for a place. Now that the date for this year's admissions is past the LEA will handle it, and will provide a place.

hollyhobbie Tue 12-May-09 12:05:17

Hi again,
The job is in Hyde, but we're looking at (maybe) living in Stalybridge, Broadbottom or Marple Bridge- somewhere closeish by so DH doesn't have a mad commute.

The primary schools I'm looking at in are:

St Pauls C of E
Buckton Vale
Stalyhill Infant (this is the closest to my preferd house, and is the one they've told me is full)
Wildbank Community
Broadbent Fold

Broadbottom C of E

Rose Hill
The Dale

...basically I've got a whole list of houses to look at and have written down all the schools nearby. I guess we can at least drive by outside them to see what they look like, as well as looking at their websites.

We're back in the UK in 2 weeks' time to househunt, and I guess by the end of that visit we WILL (MUST!) have an address to work from.

[stressed emoticon]

hollyhobbie Tue 12-May-09 12:07:38

Thanks for the website, kitbit, I was feeling that there should be a useful resource like that.
Strange to be repatriating to what is really 'my' country, and yet feeling so foreign!

Good luck with your move, NoMoreNagging!

littlerach Tue 12-May-09 12:15:27

My SIL is moving back next month and has been able to apply for a school place without having an adress, she is able to use a relative's address.
Also, she ahs been able to apply htrough the school directly.

stickylittlefingers Tue 12-May-09 12:18:42

Totally get the feeling foreign - I felt really odd not knowing basic stuff on how to do things; when I rang people up with my clearly English accent, people were a lot less patient than when I was doing similar things in Germany and Ireland! I must admit I found it all rather stressful, but it does all end eventually and it's rather nice to be back.

ramonaquimby Tue 12-May-09 12:18:54

hijack -

why are children not born in the UK but move there later entitled to the child trust fund? Doesn't make sense

stickylittlefingers Tue 12-May-09 12:27:51

I don't know if it's all children, but certainly mine got them automatically - perhaps because they are British citizens? Conversely, if they had stayed out of the UK, they would not have got them. Are you very cross about it?

ramonaquimby Tue 12-May-09 12:35:40

no not cross about it, does it come across that way?

just seems open to abuse

stickylittlefingers Tue 12-May-09 12:59:58

Time was when every baby born in Ireland had the right to Irish citizenship. They closed that loophole! I don't know the ins and outs of the CTFs. But I'm glad you're not cross (sorry about the hijack!) grin

hollyhobbie Tue 12-May-09 15:36:48

No problem for the hijack - I'm asking the same question, Ramona (cool name, btw, maybe you should make a big noisy fuss about it?!)

NoMoreNagging Tue 12-May-09 15:44:05

I'll have to look into the child trust fund thing as I have never heard of it either! That's what happens when you leave the country young, free and single and come back with offspring and no idea about all the child related things.

My two are so looking forward to wearing school uniform too. HollieHobbie have you sorted out transporting all your stuff? We were shocked at the difference in price when we got quotes from different companies.

ramonaquimby Tue 12-May-09 18:16:07

Ramona is alive and well in 2009 under the guise of my 4 year old daughter - RQ personified grin

hollyhobbie Tue 12-May-09 22:20:12

Yes, NoMoreNagging, we've got three quotes, and I must confess I'm tempted by the most expensive one: They are the moving company who are 'by appointment to' the royal Dutch household AND they sent a man in a suit round to butter me up (so to speak)
I guess we'll see what moving costs help we get from new company before I get my cheque book out though...

And school uniforms FREAK ME OUT! I wore one for years, but it's strange how foreign they feel now. Not actually mentioned the idea to DD yet. Maybe when we know what school we get I can introduce her to the idea.

hollyhobbie Tue 12-May-09 22:22:26

child trust fund website. Haven't had time to read it all yet, but it seems to be linked with child benefit, which might explain why you could get it later. Though what if you just lived in the UK for 3 years and then moved away again? Does seem like an odd idea to me.

NoMoreNagging Wed 13-May-09 06:50:47

Thanks holyhobbie, looks as if we won't get the CTF as my 2 are too old. It is a good idea though.

jmacon Sun 24-May-09 21:56:41

Hi Am in the middle of deliberations of whether to move back to the uk, can any recent repatriates help to convince me ie good points about UK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now