Talk

Advanced search

help please...What can I buy as a leaving gift for my lovely friend and her family moving to Australia?

(8 Posts)
notamumyetbutoneday Tue 13-Jan-09 10:47:33

Hi

My very good friend, her DH and 3 year old DD are moving to Australia, sob. it is happening ridiculously quickly and they are going in 2 months.

I want to get them something very special as a leaving gift but obviously not something big/bulky/heavy that theyll have to take with them.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AussieLou Tue 13-Jan-09 12:20:37

Do you want something to remind them of England and you?
When I moved here (to the UK from Australia) my friends got together and mailed a HUGE parcel of things that I would miss from home. Snacks, Sweets etc some photos in lights frames. It arrived a couple of days after I arrived and was just the thing to combat the homesickness kicking in. Best and most thoughtful present I got.

PestoMonster Tue 13-Jan-09 12:29:04

I want ideas too, my neighbour is moving to Oz in March and has two young ds's and I shall really miss them. sad

Shells Tue 13-Jan-09 19:26:04

Someone bought me a subscription to Guardian weekly and some other people sent me newspapers regularly (papers are woeful here). That was wonderful.

FrazzledFairyFay Tue 13-Jan-09 19:31:10

A friend of ours moved back to Oz recently. I grouped together with some of their other friends and we made them a memory book. Our DCs drew pictures, we took pictures of local landmarks and put in photos of us and them. Each family also wrote a message. They loved it.

lucyintheskywithdiamonds Tue 13-Jan-09 19:34:48

could you do a sort of scrap book of england and/or all the good times you have together? or am i just 15 really?

twentypence Tue 13-Jan-09 19:37:11

As someone who moved - don't "give" them anything. As others have said get something delivered once they are settled - magazines, or a nice bunch of flowers.

notamumyetbutoneday Wed 14-Jan-09 08:31:13

Thanks for your replies, i really like the idea of a newspaper subscription plus memory book/photo album so ill be looking into that, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now