Advanced search

Internationally portable careers: possibly teaching or Montessori but any other suggestions welcome!

(7 Posts)
frannikin Tue 21-Oct-08 14:29:14

I'm not going to stay a governess forever, given that it's deeply incompatible with being married, but the question is now what I go on to do...I have about a year (eek!) to decide and start working towards whatever it is.

Being a primary teacher has always appealed to me, but the way that life is turning out, or rather OH's job (military...) is turning out, I'm likely to be moving around a lot. My plan of returning to the UK next year, doing my PGCE and then my NQT year etc has gone bang because 2 years of separation is apparently not on. Which is fair enough given that generally married people like to live together. The problem with this is that British teaching qualifications (and American ones) seem to be widely recognised internationally whereas I'm struggling to find out whether training as a teacher in France will have the same weight.

The other option I'm considering is training as a Montessori teacher but there seem to be a bewildering array of qualifications out there, unlike regular teaching where you just do the state recognised qualification and start crossing your fingers that China/Mexico/Finland is going to recognise it. What is the best qualification to do and where? MCI offer a distance learning one which could be a possiblity as I could start next year and stay in this job as charge goes to school full-time and I could stay on as a before/after school nanny. Or the Institut Superier here in Paris have one too which is full-time attendance but the resulting qualification is different. Thus I am confused. (And yes, I know the pay is rubbish and it's not the same as being a primary teacher but something about the philosophy appeals to me).

Failing that I have: BMus (Hons) 2.i, various childcare qualifications, a TEFL qualification and a brain. I also hope that by the end of this academic year I'll have a bit of paper what proves I can speak French proper. I did tons of volunteering at university, mostly to do with sorting other people's lives out when they had problems with their house/course/finances, which I was rather good at, or organising other volunteers - recruitment, training etc.


chloeb2002 Thu 30-Oct-08 03:07:09

nursing is a take everywhere bit of paper but will need more than a year to train for! teaching looks your obvious choice but not sure how id go about it.... sorry!

ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 30-Oct-08 03:40:48

Don't make the mistake I did frannikin and do a GTP (Graduate Teacher Programme), it's like a PGCE but you are school based and you get PAID! However, I did it and then moved to Australia only to find out that it's not recognised over here. So stick with the PGCE if you do decide to do teacher training. Also don't worry about your NQT year, at least in Australia they don't seem to care two hoots about that.

Good luck.

Buda Thu 30-Oct-08 06:07:42

I am not sure of the routing to become a teacher but I live in Budapest and I know of 3 people who did their PGCE whilst here and are now working as teachers.

What is the NQT - am assuming Newly Qualified Teacher? Some international schools will let you do that I think.

Callisto Thu 30-Oct-08 08:24:54

It would mean a complete career change, but the whole world is currently crying out for engineers of all diciplines.

Anna8888 Thu 30-Oct-08 08:28:53

Have you ruled out becoming a music teacher?

SuperBunny Fri 31-Oct-08 03:06:21

In the US (at least, in several states) British teaching qualifications are not accepted. So, if you think there is a chance of moving there, a PGCE is unlikely to help you.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: