Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where could we live, really well, on about £1800 a month?

(36 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 20:11:41

We could go pretty much anywhere I guess - but where would it be a good life?

eg we could go to Jamaica, but (according to DH) we might be quite restricted in where we could live & there is a lot of violence

we could go to spain but there are an awful lot of british people there & neither of us speak Spanish grin

So where could we go?

ilove Sat 18-Oct-08 20:12:56

Down under...Aus or NZ

foofi Sat 18-Oct-08 20:13:12

Why do you want to leave the UK?

geekgirl Sat 18-Oct-08 20:13:15

Panama is supposed to be lovely for a cheap ex-pat lifestyle

I guess the problem with destinations like that is health & education provision

Blu Sat 18-Oct-08 20:14:01

Would you still be needing to earn your £1800 a month, though?

You could live very royally in Mauritius on that - but you'd be very hard-pressed to earn it.

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 20:20:49

I have the £1800

Why do I want to leave - umm I have a very bad cold/chest infection and DD & DH have gone out without me, so I want to move somewhere warm

Health provision is a major issue - DH has a chronic chest problem & I have ME/IBS

Hadn't even thought about education

ShosheTheGhoshe Sat 18-Oct-08 20:22:40

I would go back to Singapore (lived there most of my childhood).

Loved it and we go back on holiday when we can.

DS and DDIL are off to South Africa to her hometown for a few years, so will probably be going there on holiday in the future, will update you on how that is after we have been. grin

Also loved Mauritius and Fiji as well.

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 20:29:22

Mauritius sounds nice as does New Zealand - not sure I have points for NZ though - unless they count DH & I separately both as Childcarers (on the list of skill shortages)

But DH can't really work

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 20:41:59

no where else?

Hassled Sat 18-Oct-08 21:21:26

Right then - you could narrow the field down by ruling out anywhere where English isn't the main language. Which makes Aus/NZ good candidates - except I think they have some rules re only people with the specific skills they need (could include childcare though). The US - I'd love it there, but bloody hard to get a Green Card. Ireland - great country but expensive and possibly wetter than the UK. Jamaica - sounds wonderful to me, but a lot of desperate poverty mixed in, and no idea re healthcare.

There would have to be lots of dancing - so we're after good climate, affordable healthcare, English speaking, cheapish flights for the parents and dancing. Hmm.

I haven't really helped, have I ?

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 21:22:35

& sailing grin

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 18-Oct-08 21:23:48

DH says Turkey so long as you don't live the english lifestyle buying english food from english supermarkets etc.

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 21:28:17

Hmm - what about the language? Is Turkish hard?

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 21:39:33

I've been thinking about childcare in New Zealand.........

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 18-Oct-08 22:28:52

Most people in Turkey speak English. They learn it in school from primary age and it's taught in the home.

Tourism is the biggest part of turkish eceonomy and English is the most widely spoken language so it's considered important to know (as told to me by a turkish bar owner last year)

KatyMac Sat 18-Oct-08 22:39:18

I'm guessing I wouldn't get a job in a nursery without turkish tho' (if they have Turkish nurseries)

geekgirl Sun 19-Oct-08 07:49:24

Don't think Turkish is that hard. My mum was a primary school teacher in Germany and learnt Turkish in evening classes as there were lots of little Turkish children in her class who knew almost no German. It seemed like a pretty straightforward language.

Moondog has spent a lot of time in Turkey IIRC - back of beyond though so probably quite different from the more populated areas.

happychappy Sun 19-Oct-08 08:48:27

I did your job in the uk but in Italy I teach english. Get paid 4 times more. decide when I want to work, work freelance and have no paperwork. What can be better. I'm sure you could do the same in Turkey

Anna8888 Sun 19-Oct-08 09:05:36

You can live more cheaply in provincial France than in provincial England. You would have to work in order to get health cover (social security); state education is quite reasonable (though, like anywhere, you need to pick your area/school). South of the Loire Valley the weather is significantly better than in most of the UK.

KatyMac Sun 19-Oct-08 09:34:09

My parents would like us to live in France (& I would love it)

I wonder if I could get DH to learn French hmm?

BreevandercampLGJ Sun 19-Oct-08 09:39:45

So you have a guarnateed income of £1,800 a month for the rest of your life ??

Take your time and think it through...

KatyMac Sun 19-Oct-08 09:46:03

Actually no

Forgot that - it stops in 9 yrs - oops that makes a big difference blush

KatyMac Sun 19-Oct-08 13:12:32

Damn! That was why I was opening the nursery - Now what can I do to increase my income so when it stops I have enough to live on

I must see how much Tax credit we will get if DH has a pension

ninedragons Sun 19-Oct-08 13:35:35

Urban Australia and NZ are not much cheaper than the UK. You would certainly not live really well on GBP1,800 in any Australian city.

Lots of expats are very happy with life in Malaysia and Thailand.

KatyMac Sun 19-Oct-08 13:55:31

What a shame - I thought if I took my housing costs out (if I could buy with my equity from here) & I worked we'd be OK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now