Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

US Mumsnetters - quick question if I may? baby formula

(19 Posts)
BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 16-Oct-08 07:56:51

We're coming over to see the in laws for 6 weeks towards the end of the year. DS will be 5 months old. I'm not planning on bringing much baby stuff with me on the basis that I can buy everything there. But DS is fussy about milk (he's bottle fed). We give him Aptimil at the moment and I wondered if anyone knows if they sell that in the States? If not, can you tell me what brands they do sell and I will start moving him over slowly now to give him time to get used to the new stuff...

Thanks very much.

ps - realise that I am posting this at a daft time as you will all be asleep so will bounce later in the hope someone will see.

TheBlonde Thu 16-Oct-08 08:01:01

I never found any UK brands at all

Take your own supply is my recommendation

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 16-Oct-08 08:09:46

Really? Oh no! 6 weeks worth of formula would practically be our entire luggage allowance...

Brangelina Thu 16-Oct-08 08:13:30

Try ringing the helpline and asking them what the brand equivalent is in the US. Often the same formula is marketed under a different name.

AtheneNoctua Thu 16-Oct-08 08:16:32

Agree with The Blonde. DD was 3 months old when we went to the states and NONE of the formula brands were the same. Much to my surprise, she hated all American formula (Bloody traitor!!). I would recommend getting him on powdered formula now and taking that powder with you. And if he is really really fussy about a change in flavour I would possibly even start making the formula with Evian which is definitely available in the states.

Another thing you will not find there is disposable bottles. I can't remember who makes them but they are available at Tesco, Boots, etc. So if you want the convenience of not having to wash and sterilise bottles best to bring some of those with you.

And just out of curiosity, where are you going? [nosey emoticon]

AtheneNoctua Thu 16-Oct-08 08:21:02

Oh, you also won't find muslin squares and probably won't find any growbags.

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 16-Oct-08 08:22:24

OK this is all really helpful advice - so glad I asked now and thanks for the replies. Will try ringing them to see if they make a US equivalent. Otherwise I guess we'll have to pay for extra luggage (as well as travel cot etc....)

AtheneNoctua - we're off to Boston for Thanksgiving and then New York for Christmas. Can't wait. We do this every year (although not normally for as long - I love maternity leave!) and it's the first time that DS will meet his grandparents.

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 16-Oct-08 08:24:28

[Runs off to add muslins and grobags to packing list]

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 16-Oct-08 08:25:06

But what do they use instead of muslins then?

AtheneNoctua Thu 16-Oct-08 09:41:04

They We have something called a receiving blanket which tends to get used to clean up things like we you do over here with a muslin. I think they are fab actually. I recommend getting you hands on some (Carter's Receiving Blankets at Toys R Us.

Are you staying in a hotel or at someone's house?

You can get children's clothes much cheaper in the states. If I were you I'd do some online ordering and have stuff sent to the in-laws so that it is there when you arrive and you don't have to spend your holiday shopping. Also if you are arrriving at Thanksgiving, I guess you know that nothing will be open on Thanksgiving.

I am fron Chicago and I am very jealous that you will be spending Thanksgiving in the states and I will be here where I will have to make my own pumkin pie or go without. It's just not the same.

AtheneNoctua Thu 16-Oct-08 09:45:46

If you are not already farmiliar with the terms you will need a translation dictionary when you go shopping. Uk to Us conversions as follow:

cot = crib
pushchair/pram = stroller
vest = onesie
nappy = diaper
moses basket = basinette
dummy = pacifier

AtheneNoctua Thu 16-Oct-08 10:41:55

blush I mean "familiar", of course.

TheBlonde Thu 16-Oct-08 10:45:52

unless you are travelling on a budget airline they usually take the travel cot for free

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 16-Oct-08 10:49:29

Thanks Athene this is really helpful! I got sent a receiving blanket as a gift by SIL and had no idea what I was meant to do with it. All is now clear....

We're planning to do loads of shopping over there and to stock up for the next year for clothes etc because it is so much cheaper! Great idea to order in advance and get stuff sent to PIL. We're doing a mixture of hotels and family.

I love Chicago! Great city. We went there quite a lot when we were living in the States as DH has good friends there.

I'll think of you as I dig into pumpkin pie. Thanksgiving really is the best holiday. That alone is a good reason to have married an American...

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 16-Oct-08 10:51:51

X posts with TheBlonde. I didn't know that! Great news. We're travelling one of the major carriers so should be ok then. Thanks.

TheBlonde Thu 16-Oct-08 12:49:46

The bottles that Athene mentions are v convenient but worth checking your LO will drink from them first (mine wouldn't, also wouldn't touch the US formula so went out mixed fed, came back fully breastfed!)

MKG Thu 16-Oct-08 13:43:29

Bogey--The top three brands which you can find in any store are

Similac (Abbott Laboratories)- www.similac.com
Enfamil (Mead Johnson)- www.enfamil.com
Good Start (nestle)-- www.nestlegoodstart.com

I've used all three and while ds1 preferred Good Start, ds2 preferred Similac.

I'll give you a wave when you're in NY because I'm in NJ.

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 16-Oct-08 15:30:24

Thanks MKG - that's really helpful. Off to the shops later to see if we have anything that's at least by the same company.

Best wedding I ever went to was in New Jersey so I have very fond memories of the place!

MrsSplat Sat 18-Oct-08 22:33:42

Hello - had similar issue recently. Aptamil definitely not available over the pond, as clone or otherwise. DD did not get on with the local stuff at all. I got it shipped by Britsuperstore online in the end and it was still cheaper than expensive (Canadian) formula, even with shipping and tax. Perhaps you could get it sent in advance to PILs?

Also - you can get a brilliant travel cot called a Peapod, which is a tent with an inflatable mattress for around $50 (from Babies R Us and other places) and folds into a really compact and light bag, about the size of a cushion and will be okay at least up to 1 year. Way better than massive, heavy, pack'n'play ones.

I had no problem getting Avent and Playtex disposible bottles in Canada - a solid shell with replaceable plastic inners. I think I saw Playtex ones in US too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now