Talk

Advanced search

Would any patient souls be prepared to talk *~*~CANADA*~*~ to me in very simple terms?

(14 Posts)
eviz Thu 09-Oct-08 19:44:26

Just about the immigration process really - I'm completely bamboozled by the official government website blush

Neither DP or I have 'in-demand' jobs (I'm currently on maternity leave with DD2) but do could have capital if we --manage to sell the bloody house-- consolidate our assets grin

This might be a red herring, but we are only considering moving over if my mum does too (she has a marriage proposal awaiting her in Nova Scotia from an old flame) so she would get Canadian residency no problem; she is adamant they would be able to sponsor us as their dependants but I think the Canadian government is clear that adults over the age of 25 cannot be sponsored.

We did do a freeby points assessment about a year ago and we were just borderline, I am aware that the Canadian government has become stricter on eligible work since sad

Anyway the company who did the freeby assessment were happy to help with our application for £4k shock which obviously we can't afford.

Basically I am just totally confused now, not sure whether to just put an application in and keep fingers crossed (and put up with 5yr wait) or explore other options if there are any (I heard if you bought a farm they'd welcome you with open arms!)

Thanks to anyone with the patience to reply grin we're looking at east coast btw.. probably Nova Scotia but possibly Ontario

Cheers!

AlwaysTheMummy Thu 09-Oct-08 22:47:12

i would recommend going onto britishexpats.com and looking at the wiki section or even getting involved on the canada boards, it's fantastic and everyone is so helpful xx

MrsSplat Fri 10-Oct-08 03:35:24

Longshot, but do either of you work for international companies with operations in Canada, or in companies with sister-companies?

We have found the temporary work permit status, sponsored by DH's company very untaxing and I had my nicest experience ever entering North America when we arrived. DH is here on secondment, and as I'm on maternity leave, I get a spousal permit which works for the duration of his stay. If he leaves/loses work status, I have to leave.

From my albeit limited experience, there seem to be a fair amount of professional people here on the temporary work permit status, which 3 or 4 years down the track seems relatively straightforward to apply for permanent residency if you've got a decent job and aren't going to be a burden on the state (IYSWIM smile)

We're not here for much longer, but it strikes me that the TWP (temp work permit) route is a nice way to try it out. Expat life isn't for everyone, and you need to see if you can stick the deep winter too. It will be pretty bracing in Nova Scotia!

hellish Fri 10-Oct-08 03:49:44

Hi, I'm in Ottawa, been here for two years.
We came on Temporary work visas because dh had a transfer within his company. We were fast tracked and now have permanant residence

I think the best case would be if your dh (or you) could find a job with a Canadian company who would sponsor his immigration. (workopolis, monster etc are good sources)

If you want to set up a business here you would find it much easier (provided you have capital) - so maybe a farm not such a bad idea. Farmland is very cheap around here.

Sorry I'm not much use on the legal stuff, but if you have any questions about living here, I'd be happy to help.

eviz Fri 10-Oct-08 13:54:01

Thanks for the info everyone. Aren't temp work visas only applicable for in-demand jobs? Unfortunately neither of us work for the right places (me: NHS, dp: as legal exec in family-run solicitors). This would be ideal but surely not an option for us?

I would love to start up a business in Canada but I think I'm right in thinking you have to be a proven entrepreneur (3 yrs running own business)?

Is it worth retraining to get in? Perhaps I can persuade DP to start nightschool and learn to be a sparky.. or I could do a PGCE or nursing qualification?? hmm

We stayed for 2 wks in MArch this yr (Ontario, near Alconquin Park) - was bracing indeed!

hellish Fri 10-Oct-08 14:04:51

Hi, it must have been pretty in Algonquin in March- this year was a record breaking snowfall.

Just a warning re; teaching - Ontario has a massive over- supply of school teachers, It's quite common for qualified teachers to have to do supply work for 3/4 years before getting a permanant job. Unless you speak French in which case there's a shortage of teachers in the French Immersion programs.

But if it gets you the work permit, could be worth it anyway...

I think there's a shortage of health care professionals. (certainly doctors.)

eviz Fri 10-Oct-08 18:23:27

Cheers hellish - yup we were marooned as Toronto endured worst snowfall since the fifties, apparently! The police didn't have the resources to attend all the accidents so advised drivers to take a tow rope and not count on them if they ended up in a ditch grin

So yes, pretty, and very white. I was 28wks pg at the time and had SPD - was a unique experience..

Neither teaching or nursing particularly appeal - I take it that continuing with my plan to become a freelance copywriter won't do much for my (Canadian) prospects either? hmm

shubiedoo Fri 10-Oct-08 18:29:03

Yay, Nova Scotia! By far the best province to live in, especially climate wise. We don't get the extreme cold and snowstorms like Ontario and the prairies, or months of rain like BC.

I can't really help with immigration stuff (I'm Canadian, dh is Irish, we had been living in Dublin before moving back here.)

Good luck and if you have questions about living here, just ask.

eviz Fri 10-Oct-08 20:42:44

Hey, great to hear from you Shubiedoo. Tell me more about Nova Scotia - I've heard mixed reports. We never made it over there in March, the roads were too bad. I've looked at property websites and you have seriously cheap houses compared to the UK!

shubiedoo Fri 10-Oct-08 21:23:10

Hi,
Yes, property looks amazingly cheap, but then salaries are lower too, and property tax is a few thousand a year (in Halifax anyway.)

We were lucky enough to buy our house outright 3 years ago, that's how I can afford to be at home full time smile.

Some websites that might help:
novascotialife.com/immigration
novascotiajobshop.ca
careerbeacon.com

nooka Mon 13-Oct-08 04:36:18

NS has a community stream. If your mum came over, and if you visited lots, bought a house etc then you could try that route. I think it takes quite a while though. The easiest route is definitely TWP. Have you looked at each provinces requirements? BC has quite a wide range of health jobs on its list. I don't think NS has a list, but Ontario's is quite limited. You can move over on a TWP even if your job isn't in high demand, but it is quite onerous for the employer, so unless you have something special to offer they probably won't bother.

cally10 Tue 14-Oct-08 01:46:30

Sorry to hijack your thread eviz blush...but just wanted to ask shubiedoo a quick question (re: sponsoring DH) if she's still around grin...

shubiedoo Tue 14-Oct-08 02:07:59

Sure cally, but I won't be around for much longer... it's very late where you are?!

cally10 Fri 17-Oct-08 17:41:25

hi shubiedoo,
have posted general msg for you in this forum...
cally

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now