Talk

Advanced search

Ooh ooh ooh, we might be moving to Guernsey, any MNetters live there?

(18 Posts)
suwoo Thu 18-Sep-08 17:52:35

DH has a job interview with full relocation package to Guernsey. We are really hoping he gets it and he stands a good chance. Anyone currently live there as we will need advice on schools and areas etc. Thank you.

suwoo Thu 18-Sep-08 18:45:23

Bump

NutterlyUts Thu 18-Sep-08 18:47:58

I live in Jersey and imo guernsey is nicer. It's very green, and ime island life is very much like living in one big village. Everyone soon learns faces and will say Hi each morning, hold doors open etc, but it doesn't have the pettiness that some villages seem to get. It can be quite claustophobic and expensive, but france is about an hour away on the ferry, the mainland is about 2hrs away

NutterlyUts Thu 18-Sep-08 18:49:24

Forgot to add its probably easier if you post specific questions and I can try and answer them. And I think there are people from guernsey on here so keep bumping for them!!

suwoo Thu 18-Sep-08 18:52:34

Cheers for that, will keep bumping and ask specific questions if DH gets the job!

suwoo Sat 20-Sep-08 20:22:18

Bumpity bump

Pendulum Sat 20-Sep-08 20:33:10

Hi Suwoo, I used to live in Guernsey and know it very well so may be able to help with your questions. Where do you live ATM? I don't actually think Guernsey is very 'green', it is rather overbuilt these days and there are not many fields or open spaces. But of course the beaches are beautiful.

Do you know anyone there or have family?

suwoo Sat 20-Sep-08 20:35:44

Well, Pendulum, it will probably be greener than inner city Manchester where I live nowgrin. My parents live in Brittany and my cousn lives in Jersey.

Pendulum Sat 20-Sep-08 20:43:11

Yes in that case I agree, greenness is relative grin

Fantastic that you have family in Brittany and Jersey too. Occasionally I think about going back to the island but think I would feel quite isolated because it costs so much to get to the UK. Quicker and easier to get to France/ the other islands though.

You will also find island life less of a culture shock if you have spent time with your sis in Jersey.

suwoo Sat 20-Sep-08 20:53:22

I've only been to Jersey the once for her wedding. I grew up in North Wales and DH grew up in the Peak District so the rural aspect isn't that daunting. The main reason for going is the money we can put by as the package is a good one. The questions I would have, would be focussed on the areas and schools, so that depends where the house is that they offer us if when DH gets the job grin.

Pendulum Sat 20-Sep-08 20:57:51

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your DH then!

suwoo Sat 20-Sep-08 21:03:42

Cheers, I'll be in touch!

suwoo Sun 21-Sep-08 11:34:43

Anyone else live there currently???????

suwoo Sun 21-Sep-08 16:06:19

Bump

moondog Sun 21-Sep-08 16:08:33

No.but I'd love to go (as if that helps!) It sounds great!

suwoo Sun 21-Sep-08 19:42:32

Yeah thats a great help moondog grin. Keep your fingers crossed for DH and you can come and visit!

suwoo Sun 21-Sep-08 22:18:38

Bump again. God, I know its small but someone on here MUST live there.

suwoo Mon 22-Sep-08 11:13:29

Anyone?????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now