Talk

Advanced search

Our shipment has arrived from the UK!

(23 Posts)
ViolentFemme Tue 26-Aug-08 03:37:26

Yippee!

DS no longer needs to sleep in travel cot.

Pictures, photographs and mementoes.

Oh we're gonna have a great afternoon!

SuperBunny Tue 26-Aug-08 03:39:06

Ooo, how exciting!

Where are you?

ViolentFemme Tue 26-Aug-08 03:49:34

We're in Sydney. Been here about 10 weeks and loving it, but looking forward to unpacking some little bits of home.

Where are you SuperBunny?

SuperBunny Tue 26-Aug-08 03:55:28

I'm on Chicago. All my stuff is stored in the UK though. Maybe one day I'll bring it over. Have fun unpacking

superloopy Tue 26-Aug-08 06:33:39

I can remember the day when all our stuff arrived - it was like Christmas.

So exciting!!

Happy unpacking!! smile

ViolentFemme Tue 26-Aug-08 07:09:39

Oh it is like Christmas! Handbags I'd forgotten I had...

MrsJohnCusack Tue 26-Aug-08 07:10:27

Fab isn't it
one of the happiest days of my life

moocowme Tue 26-Aug-08 20:40:53

what suburb are you in if you don't mind me asking? I was born in Windsor when it was a little country town way out in the sticks, now its just an outer suburb on the way up the mountains.

bloss Tue 26-Aug-08 20:50:30

Message withdrawn

ViolentFemme Wed 27-Aug-08 12:15:18

We're currently in Zetland although we are having some heartache over whether we can really afford to be so central.

Windsor, that's in Hawkesbury? Sydney is such a SPRAWL!

Bloss when does your stuff arrive? It's worth the wait!

ninedragons Wed 27-Aug-08 17:17:12

Hooray!

When we arrived here it was the middle of winter. We rushed out to Ikea on the first day and bought a bed and a sofa, but by God it was magical when the crate turned up.

I am dreading doing it all again. I planned ahead though, and bought a load of stuff and left it at my parents' place, so we won't be eating off paper plates and hauling our laundry around in plastic bags for two months. Am also just getting rid of everything I can; it is being distributed amongst our friends who instituted the splendid rule that if it takes one person to carry, it's a bottle of beer, two people and it's a bottle of champagne.

DB is coming up for the Formula One in October and I have baggsed his luggage allowance to send home bits and pieces I would be devastated if the shipping company were to lose.

Hethbell Thu 28-Aug-08 03:41:28

We brought everything with us from the UK (we didn't pay). Sadly our one and only possession from a great grandmother was smashed into tiny pieces. Was like christmas till we found the bowl.Was all insured but hey! not replaceable. Hope nothing is broken when you are unpacking.

Califrau Thu 28-Aug-08 06:40:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hurray! That is such a good feeling, its like Christmas all over again!

When our shipment arrived in April, we experienced the worst rain we have ever seen in Kenya and the lorry with the container got stuck in the mud in our drive. We couldn't get in nor out of the gate for 8 hours until they managed to move it a couple of inches. It stayed like that for a couple of days which the dc thought was hilarious. grin I hope the arrival of yours was little less eventful, - enjoy!

Buda Thu 28-Aug-08 06:55:22

It is fab - like Christmas when it all arrives.

We have been lucky and not had any disasters thankfully.

Haven't done Ikea to tide us over though - there weren't any where we moved to! In both Bangkok and Vietnam I hit the local market and bought basics. In Bulgaria DH was there before me and he bought a few things in the local supermarket - including 2 fab enamel roasting dishes that we use constantly now 7 years on!

When we moved from Bulgaria to here in Budapest it all came by truck and we were able to send half of our stuff and still have enough to live with in Bulgaria and then the rest 2 weeks later when we were leaving. So when we got here our first shipment was here. All duly unpacked and sorted and put away. Great. Then the other stuff arrived and it wasn't so easy to put away! I have toooooooooooooooooooo much crap!

superloopy Thu 28-Aug-08 07:16:04

Hell we are living in a freakin' Ikea display house!!!!!

We didn't bring any furniture/kitchenware/bits'n bobs as we sold our flat fully furnished.

Ikea is one of the few places which carries loads of stock which meant we could buy everything and take it away the same day with out having to order and await delivery.

Plus we checked out and decided on most things online beforehand. Online shopping is generally rubbish here in Oz apart from Ikea...

bloss Thu 28-Aug-08 08:20:11

Message withdrawn

sunnydelight Sun 31-Aug-08 08:34:04

I think most expats head straight to Ikda superloopy, we certainly did. We were lucky because we spent a month travelling on the way to Oz, then had a short term rental for 3 weeks so our stuff arrived a month after we moved into our "proper" rental. I remember the delight of unpacking our winter weight duvet!!!

Watching kids re-discover their toys is fab smile

lulalullabye Mon 01-Sep-08 12:52:22

Oh now I am getting the jitters with the thought of only living with 2 pairs of trousers !

Just a quick question to all you learned people. When you book your one way ticket for emigration, do you have to tell them you are emigrating to get the extra allowance or do they just realise as it is one way ????

superloopy Tue 02-Sep-08 07:50:38

Tell them you are immigrating - we did and at every stage along the route when checking in we told them too. There was no way I was going to pay excess luggage because the airline was unaware.

Singapore airlines actually gave all of us double luggage allowance (me DH & DD) when DH was the only one migrating. I was returning home to Oz and DD has citizenship and was only 2yo.

It was great as we did a cheeky bit of shopping in Singapore on the way here and still came in under the 120kg limit we had.

sandcastles Tue 02-Sep-08 08:20:33

Excellent! I am really pleased for you!

I remembr when our stuff turned up, really felt like home after that. And the first night in my own bed.....bliss!

Enjoy!

MrsJohnCusack Tue 02-Sep-08 08:31:04

yes Singapore let us take outrageous amounts of excess baggage - we told all and sundry we were emigrating, primed DD to look extra cute and I stuck out my bump. we were then extremely nice and accomodating to the v.slow person checking us in (she was a newbie) et voila, they let all our stuff on without blinking an eyelid or charging us anything

lulalullabye Tue 02-Sep-08 09:25:30

Ok thats the plan then. We will see how much we can get away with wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now