Talk

Advanced search

Coming to Sydney for a weekend jolly - anywhere I should go?

(13 Posts)
claudiaschiffer Wed 13-Aug-08 00:04:37

Calling all Sydney chicks. . .

Myself and a couple of Brit chums are coming to Sydney in early Sept for a CHILD FREE weekend away. As you can imagine I am beyond excited. Somehow DH has agreed to have the kids and I have been let of the motherhood leash for 2 whole days and nights. grin

I've only ever been to Sydney once and that was for a fleeting 2 day stopover, but have seen the harbour bridge etc. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for good shops/restaurants/things to do? No longer think I can take in a nightclub - God know what I would wear for one thing . . . but good restaurant/bar would be nice.

We will be staying pretty centrally - maybe at the Hyatt - wherever that is?

Shopping in Adelaide is veryvery plain and dull so if you know of any groovy clothes shops I would be delighted. Must go and spend some money wink

claudiaschiffer Wed 13-Aug-08 11:33:33

bumpety bump

chloeb2002 Thu 14-Aug-08 10:49:29

QVB )queen victoria building) for all the posh shops... DFO for factory outlets... wander around the rocks.. just to say you have done it..personally i like the hot chocolate and bannana bread they sell at the cafe opposite the ferry terminal at darling harbour.
sure some current sydney siders will have better knowledege. i used to live an hour south west so no more round there! very sad can only think of child related stuff... aquarium, zoo etc..

Ozziegirly Thu 14-Aug-08 11:11:24

Well I would say - breakfast at the Modern Art museum on circular quay. Then a wander round the Rocks market in the morning. Then hop in a cab over to Woolahra and wander round the lovely shops there, have a coffee and a chill. Oxford St is great for shopping.

Then back to your hotel, get changed and head to Park Hyatt bar for a couple of drinks, it's near the rocks too. Then dinner at Quay or Wildfire or Rockpool.

Then the next day have a wander round the QVB shops and Pitt St Mall. THen head down to circular quay and jump on a ferry to watsons bay and have lunch (book in advance) at Doyles - it's touristy but the food and setting is great.

Jump on a ferry back and pop in for a drink at the Opera Bar by the opera house.

Weekend. Done.

claudiaschiffer Thu 14-Aug-08 12:03:14

Fab thanks very much. Tra la la my credit card won't know what's hit it grin

You mention the modern art museum ozziegirly - any other top cultural recommendations? I would love to see some art.

>wonders off to dust off guide book<

sunnydelight Fri 15-Aug-08 08:51:56

I love a wander around Paddington market on a Saturday (see www.paddingtonmarkets.com.au) but it's funky bits and pieces rather than high end shopping. There are loads of cafes/bars/restaurants nearby for lunch or a drink after. It's a bus trip from the centre.

At the other end of the scale the new Ivy bar and restaurant complex (George St.) is where all the beautiful people want to hang out these days - allegedly of course because I haven't been there myself grin Might be worth popping in for a drink, though from what I have read it might challenge your credit card.

I was in a really lovely bar somewhere very central last week with DH that had a great (heated) outdoor bit. Can't remember the name but I'll ask him when he gets home if you like.

If you do end up shopping on Oxford Street late in the afternoon, the best Thai in town has to be Thai Nesia, 243 Oxford Street, Darlinghurst. DH and I first discovered it when we were here in 1989; it's still going strong and the food is fantastic. BYO too.

Have fun!

ninedragons Fri 15-Aug-08 09:04:25

Sydney MNers thoroughly recommend the Opera Bar. So thoroughly indeed we were the last people to get chucked out by the bouncers: we drank all the thrusting young suits and chickie babes under the table grin

I second the MCA on Circular Quay and there are a load of little commercial galleries around Paddington if you do decide to do the market. The Rocks is enchanting to wander around and full of brilliant little shops. The Rocks market on weekends is also fab.

claudiaschiffer Fri 15-Aug-08 09:58:25

Cool, thanks y'awl.

I do like a good market so Paddington sounds great. The bars and galleries sound great, thank you. Where are the QVB shops Ozziegirly?

Now gotta find somewhere glamorous to stay - any ideas?

I really am the laziest traveller ever - relying on you lot grin.

ninedragons Fri 15-Aug-08 11:32:42

What is your budget? The Intercontinental is gorgeous, as is the Hyatt in the Rocks. W is apparently spectacular but I am told the Four Seasons is rather blah by their usual standards and the staff have An Attitude.

Actually I read a few months ago that the Intercontinental was doing Sydney Experience weekend packages for around $450-500 for two nights, which is excellent value for central Sydney. Also included some things like a Bridge Climb and a car to Manly.

No idea where I read it but here is the link for the IC.

ninedragons Fri 15-Aug-08 11:35:11

QVB is on George St opposite the Town Hall - impossible to miss. It is a stunning building; you will be shocked that it was ever mooted that it should be demolished and a multi-storey car park built in its place (in the bad old corrupt days of the 1970s and 80s).

Scrumdiddlyumptious Fri 15-Aug-08 12:00:08

Hello, how exciting to have a child free weekend - v. envious! Depending on how long you had I would recommend the following:-

1.Dinner on the terrace at Cafe Sydney. This doesn't look much from the outside (restaurant is on top floor and you have to go through kind of communal library/cafe bar to get to lift) but is FAB food and whilst certainly NOT cheap it is good value for the quality of food, stylish and ambient room and the stunning view - the harbour. I have recommended this to loads of Sydney visitors and they all LOVE it (hassle them on the phone in a charming way though for a table with a fab view..they don't guarantee but I find if I am lovely and schmooze them on the phone they pull through).

2. DEFINATELY cocktails at the Blu Horizons bar at the top of the Shangri-la hotel. AMAZING views (not cheap cocktails but make it last and soak up the view and the gorgeous atmosphere)...If you don't get a seat by the window first off again be nice to the waiter/ress and ask if you can move when a table becomes available...I have done this a few times and have bagged a fab view in the end.

3.Agree with shopping in Paddington/Oxford Street.

4. Touristy but FAB is to get a ferry from Circular Quay to Watson's Point ...walk up to the Gap and admire the view then have fish and chips at one of the Doyles (or if you are feeling flush book a table outside at the main Doyle's restaurant)...AMAZING harbour views in and out, wonderful view of city at Doyles and if you get a slow ferry lots of multi-millionaire properties to nose at on the way to and from.

Have a wonderful weekend whatever you end up doing! xx

claudiaschiffer Fri 15-Aug-08 12:16:00

Ah, thanks so much, you girls are great!

Whenever you wanna weekend in Adelaide just let me know I'll point you in the right direction . . . Melbourne hahahahhaha. No really, thanks so much it's very kind of you.

Ozziegirly Sat 16-Aug-08 01:14:20

Places to stay - I second the Park Hyatt, it's lovely but pricy. If you're on a bit more of a budget there are a lot of chain type places around Darling Harbour. We once stayed in the Radisson and it was fine - had a kitchette, good location and basic but nice room.

Oo, or the Observatory Hotel - but that may be more of a romantic break type place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now