Talk

Advanced search

Singapore

(10 Posts)
Meowmix Mon 04-Aug-08 10:49:43

Anyone in Singapore? Outside chance that we're relocating there thanks for DH's job.

Any advice??

ninedragons Mon 04-Aug-08 10:55:35

I think there are quite a few threads on this subject; search the archives.

There are a few MNers who are or have been in Singapore but nobody has the time to sit down and write an essay about everything you need to know about relocating.

They are very good on specific questions.

Meowmix Mon 04-Aug-08 11:05:24

Ninedragons thanks SO much for your post, gosh if only I were dumb enough not to read all the other Singapore related ones first it might actually have been helpful.

I can find schools, etc myself being an expat already but was hoping that someone in Singapore might be willing to exchange conversation, as I have in the past for people moving to the Gulf - and as is sort of the point of the whole site.

ninedragons Mon 04-Aug-08 11:29:15

FFS, what on earth do you expect if you ask such an absurdly open question

rumbletum Tue 05-Aug-08 06:30:57

hi meowmix, we've been in singapore for three years. i'm happy to answer questions...

FleurDelacour Tue 05-Aug-08 18:25:44

Also in Singapore at the moment. Happy to advise if you have any questions.

Expectant Wed 06-Aug-08 03:08:11

Hi also in Singapore and happy to try help answer questions. There are a few more of us lurking as well all in slightly different situations I'm sure so able to help with most queries or just have a chat!

quokka Sun 10-Aug-08 05:19:32

poor meowmix don't get scared off

I have lived here for 16 months, more than happy to offer help or have a chat!

Alexa808 Tue 12-Aug-08 08:24:25

Am also in Singapore though cannot help you with schools yet smile Am 32 weeks pregnant. I've lived here twice before moving with DH.

There was a thread not long ago, further down, on pre-schools, schools and how to get into them.

mrsmalumbas Tue 12-Aug-08 08:39:42

I lived there for 8 years and have friends still there. Some people love it, some hate it. I think it's a great place in many ways but like everywhere has some downsides. Good lifestyle and lots of opportunities for great travel, family holidays etc. Because it's a small island in some ways it's like living in a big village and it's possible to build up a great social network with people from lots of different backgrounds. It's a very modern, clean place - everything works. It's hot!! And there are cockroaches. That about sums it up! We came back because DH gave up work to become self employed and as we were no longer on expat packages we couldn't really afford to live there comfortably. And after 8 years we were missing family and friends. But we had a great time while we were there. Go for it. But if you go, try and embrace the place - those moaning expat wives who complain about everything are a pain in the bum. Oh, and get a maid - it makes life more enjoyable even though it can seem like a wierd idea at first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now