Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about Hong Kong

(8 Posts)

Dh has been offerred a job there - any advice at all would be good. DD is 7.

Tigerschick Tue 22-Jul-08 16:23:31

I lived there for 9 years from 7 to 16. My dad worked for the MoD so we were in the military 'net' so not living in 'real' HK but ...
We absolutely loved it and would recommend it to anyone. My mum worked for ESF (English Schools Foundation) which has about 9 primary schools and 5 secondary schools all of which follow the same curriculum as here.
Do you kow what would be included in your DH's 'package'? Housing, medical cover, flights etc? These things can make a huge difference.

I'm sure that others will be much more informative smile

Housing would be inc, and flights and medical cover for us all. Not sure about school fees???? He is gettimg more info this afternoon.

Tigerschick Tue 22-Jul-08 16:49:09

Do you know where you would be based?
When we moved there were 2 other families that moved at the same time. We lived on the island with a view of the sea and smaller islands; one of the other families lived right up in the New Territories with a view of the hills and countryside; the third family lived in Kowloon with a view of another block of flats ... guess which family left after 2 years and which 2 stayed for 9?

Tigerschick Tue 22-Jul-08 17:04:06

Oh, and by 'flights' I didn't just mean flights to get you there in the first place. Depending on how long you would be going for you might get flights back here in the intrim ... it's certainly worth asking about.

slim22 Tue 22-Jul-08 20:20:50

you need to find out about schools NOW NOW NOW

Mmmmmm turns out the job is for 6months in Hong Kong then back in the UK. He thought at first it was going to be longer than that. So think if he takes it we will stay here. Was quite looking forward to it, oh well. Will have to go out there for a holiday though! Thanks.

Tigerschick Tue 22-Jul-08 22:05:02

How disappointing. At least you should get out there for a visit - if he takes it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now