Talk

Advanced search

omg, dp has just been offered a job in new zealand

(21 Posts)
mum2jakeyroo Mon 21-Jul-08 11:27:03

We have been looking at moving to nz for a while now on an off. but put all plans on hold as am pregnant (bad timing). Out of the blue a company has rung him offering him a 4/5 month contract - money is really good. Why do these things always happen at daft times. Part of me thinks we/he should go as it could give us the opportunity to see what its like. the other part thinks 'what will i do when i go into labour - got 2 other ds's'

AAAGGHH

MrsBoo Mon 21-Jul-08 11:33:47

I dream of either me or DH being offered a job overseas.
Go for it - you will regret it if you don't

mum2jakeyroo Mon 21-Jul-08 11:38:02

I know - thats what I am thinking but just worry that if we all go we won't have the support network ie family for when I go into labour and he doesn't want to go without us iyswim.

mum2jakeyroo Mon 21-Jul-08 11:39:38

I suggested he go on his own and if contract gets extended we can follow out when baby is a few weeks old but obviously he's not keen.

MrsBoo Mon 21-Jul-08 11:41:03

My DB and SIl moved there years ago, they knew no-one at all. SIL had both her DC over there (they are true kiwis) and she had lovely care with both. They loved it so much they never came home.

mum2jakeyroo Mon 21-Jul-08 11:45:30

Oooh really, My mind is spinning but if we do it I suppose we could hire some pt child care help so the kids would be settled when I do go into labour. I worry so much about what ifs??

mum2jakeyroo Mon 21-Jul-08 22:58:03

I want to go I think but dp is now wondering of it is a good idea as I am only 12 weeks away from having bump.

claudiaschiffer Mon 21-Jul-08 23:51:50

Aren't you too late on in preg to fly mum2nakeyroo? I thought most airlines refused to let you on board after about 34 weeks or so?

Congratulations to your dh btw, it's a fantastic opportunity. What a shame about timing. Does the job start immediately?

MrsJohnCusack Tue 22-Jul-08 03:05:48

what about visas? is there one with the job or do you already have them sorted? Because that can take quite a while to sort anyway which might put a spanner in the works

and where in NZ? <nosey>

Shells Tue 22-Jul-08 04:57:23

Its much nicer having a baby in NZ (I've done UK and NZ) - services much better. Good luck!

AussieSim Tue 22-Jul-08 05:52:21

NZ is great and the expat community is really strong, plus I am sure friends/family will love to visit and give you a hand. I would give it a go if I were you. BUT, check the relocation package, the time to get the Visa and the medical coverage situation before getting on a plane. Make sure the employer will put you up in good furnished accommodation.

mum2jakeyroo Tue 22-Jul-08 08:14:57

They would sort out visas - but they would only be working visas - we were going to apply for residential next year. They want him out there in about 4 weeks so it might be too late for me to fly - i will be 32 weeks then. He has asked for more details - medical etc cos at the min all he really know is he has the job, the contract length and the money. They haven't told him anything else yet so he has requested more info to make a better informed decision. It all happened really fast - and as said bad timing.
btw thanks for all your replies

claudiaschiffer Tue 22-Jul-08 09:15:24

I must second Shells on Antipodean babies. I had baby no 1 in the UK - which was all fine, but baby no 2 was born over here (Australia) and it was fantastic - both were under state\Nat health care. Over here I even got a physiotherapist to give my poor swollen legs a massage whilst in hospital. Was brilliant!

HairyMaclary Tue 22-Jul-08 09:22:00

I've had one here (UK) and on in NZ. NZ is more comfortable and they have fantastic NICU care if you need it as unfortunately we did! you definitely need to check visas and medical stuff as I'm pretty sure you have to be a permanent resident to get free hospital care, however if you do have that then the baby gets an NZ passport. Don't know much about going private but I think all provision is quite good, espescailly in Auckland. Where will you be?

Elf Tue 22-Jul-08 10:46:11

Don't know about official stuff but just wanted to put forward the idea of home birth - makes it much easier to look after the other dcs and it is just lovely anyway! xx

SSSandy2 Tue 22-Jul-08 11:25:20

That's a good length of time to give you a chance to judge whether you would like to move there long term. It's so hard to judge when you're somewhere for a couple of weeks on holiday. It's also not so long that if you didn't fall on your feet, you'd end up depressed.

Last time I flew over(British Airways I think it was via LA and Hawaii - don't do THAT one!), there was a very very pregnant woman on the plane. I would have thought she would be too far gone to travel. Airlines have different regulations about this, you'd have to contact them and enquire about it. Maybe dh goes first and you follow after the baby is born? Although with 2 other dc AND the baby, that would be quite challenging too.

mum2jakeyroo Tue 22-Jul-08 11:30:18

i know sss as we are 40 mins from hospital and his family and 70 miles from mine.

SSSandy2 Tue 22-Jul-08 11:33:43

where is the job, which town?

mum2jakeyroo Tue 22-Jul-08 18:02:11

No sure of the location and he thinks he will be working all over the place and only home for days off which is a bit worrying.

Shells Wed 23-Jul-08 02:15:56

Keep us posted. There's quite a few kiwi mumsnetters who are always hovering with advice!

SSSandy2 Wed 23-Jul-08 22:07:29

well if dh is going to be travelling a lot and not with you most of the time, I don't know if I would feel tempted tbh. You will have 3 dc, know no one and I don't know how much help you could realistically expect to get but it does sound like it might be a lonely experience for you.

Hmm, hard isn't it? Staying in the UK with a newborn and 2 other dc whilst he is on the other side of the planet for 4 months isn't great either.

Have you read some of the more negative threads on this expat forum? If you balance them with what you know to be good, might help you decide. Good luck with everything

ups and downs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now