Talk

Advanced search

Possible move to Dubai - help please

(10 Posts)
TinaM Sun 20-Jul-08 21:55:00

My husband is considering a job offer from a company in Dubai starting next month (i.e. he wouldn't be relocated by the company so no help there) and I am frantically trying to get information on availability of school places. My DS is 4 and would be starting Reception here in September. Would schools be available to contact now during the holidays? Are there any schools more likely to have places? Initial research suggests that even the school waiting lists are closed for a couple of years. How does everyone else manage when they arrive in Dubai? Thanks!

LIZS Mon 21-Jul-08 07:01:38

I know of others who have children slightly older who have recently struggled to find school places but did so. The larger ones do tend to have waiting lists but one or two smaller ones seem more flexible.

inthepink Mon 21-Jul-08 12:11:44

Hi TinaM, we live in Dubai, have been here for 5 years, ds will be going into year 3 in September, we put his name down as soon as we arrived here because at the time there weren't that many schools, there are a lot more now but still with waiting lists. See www.expatwoman.com click on the middle east link and then on UAE information board,they have loads of advice about living here, housing, schools, etc.

The schools are now closed for the summer and not sure if you would get any answer from them until the end of August. Places for schools do become available because of the transient nature of the people living here, so don't despair (too much).

If I can answer any more questions, just ask, also Starmummy posts on here too, and is very helpful.

HTH

TinaM Mon 21-Jul-08 12:26:49

Thank you for replying - I was on expatwoman this morning and my husband has the job of ringing every school listed. So far no luck but the list continues.

I think there may be a lot more questions before I'm finished, thanks for your patience.

inthepink Mon 21-Jul-08 13:59:40

no problems,ask away, others may be along to offer their advice also smile

Starmummy Tue 22-Jul-08 17:09:18

Hi Tina,

Just ask away we shall do our very best. Schools can be difficult. Lots of people just get into a school and change when a place becomes available. Generally all schools have someone in over the hols, lots of people coming and going. Limited hours though. Any idea where DH will be working? Also make sure the package is inflation linked as prices are through the roof for accomodation. Anyway when you know where her will be work outwards from there. Additionally lots of people will be holding more than one place so regular calls to the registar, that fine balance between really interested in your school and stalker is the way to go. whatever they say it doesnt always go by list.

Good luck and ler us know how it goes, and if you come, we are going to ahve a meet up so you will be more than welcome to join us.

Thanks Inthe Pink for the kind recomendation ;-)

escape Fri 25-Jul-08 23:09:05

post away - I'm here too smile

Starmummy Sat 26-Jul-08 17:30:30

escape are you in DXB for the whole of the summer? fancy a coffee or a drink? I am meeting some girls I dont know (long story) at the Agency in the Madinat in early August. Would you like to come as well? More the merrier in my book ;-)

escape Sun 27-Jul-08 07:53:54

Hiya
would love to come,
but I bet its before the 5th when I'm not here!
My only trip this summer is back to blighty for Bro's wedding this Wednesday to next tuesday.
if its after the 5th - i'm there

Starmummy Sun 27-Jul-08 15:32:58

Not sure of the date, but will post as soon as I know probably next week.

Have a lovley trip for the wedding, DH is reading the Sunday Times hmm and says the weather is meant to be hot (relatively speaking of course) next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now