Talk

Advanced search

Would you pay more to fly Singapore Airlines to Australia instead of Emirates?

(22 Posts)
copycat Fri 18-Jul-08 09:54:14

Have posted this under 'Longhaul Travel' too but for maximum exposure I'm repeating myself (not an uncommon trait I'm told!).

I'm still deliberating over my flights to Australia next April blush. Would you pay £350 more (in total for 4 passengers) to fly economy with Singapore Airlines rather than fly with Emirates? Overall departure and flight times are similar but Singapore Air fly from Heathrow and Emirates fly from Gatwick which is much more convenient for us. Generally Singapore Airlines seem to get much better reviews than Emirates (they have a 10 across seating plan in a lot of their aircraft rather than the usual 9) and the two flight times are more even whereas Emirates fly via Dubai (which is only 7 hours) and then there is a much longer onward flight to Aus. Hmmm ... indecision syndrome prevails grin

Yorky Fri 18-Jul-08 11:05:47

Can't give you an honest comparison as have never flown with Singapore, but loved emirates when we came back from NZ with them a couple if years ago. £350 would sway the decision a lot for me as well!

silverfrog Fri 18-Jul-08 11:10:05

Also haven't flown with singapore, but love emirates.

have flown with them a couple of times - once to Australia, but from Nairobi not Heathrow - and it was great. Fantastic customer service.

we also used emirates to fly back to tthe UK from Kenya, with dd1, who was then 4 months old. They were fab with her, kept bringing baby toys to keep her amused (although she slept for most of it so the stewardesses were a bit disappointed lol) and very helpful.

DCsnatchsunhill Fri 18-Jul-08 11:13:54

Hi, we've just arrived back in Aus after flying with Emirates. We flew with Singapore last time. I can honestly say that I thought that the flights with Emirates were smoother in all...with the timing, the actual flying, and the in-flight service. However, I do remember raving about Singapore Airlines when we flew with them last year.
Emirates have a better in-flight entertainment system than Singapore, although I remember Singapore as having more room.
The clincher for me would be looking at your flight times. Emirates journey from the UK was utterly brilliant, with 6 hours to Dubai and then 13 to Melbourne. Done and dusted. We arrived back two days ago and my jet lag is severe. I think I would pay more to fly with Emirates as their flight times are better. Try booking with them directly on the internet as their prices were better with them than on any company like Expedia, Trvael bag etc

DCsnatchsunhill Fri 18-Jul-08 11:15:23

Just to let you know that on the last stretch from Dubai to Melbourne, the seats were 2 , 4 , 2 so eight in a row in total. It was a smaller plane with mega speed.

lillypie Fri 18-Jul-08 11:19:48

Go with Emirates,I have been flying back and forth to Australia for more than twenty years and have probably used almost every airline.

There really isn't that much difference between them and now I just search for the cheapest
flight.

Last year I took my 10 month old DD with Royal Brunei and they were the most attentive child friendly airline I have ever come across.

Also the flight was broken into three seven hour stints which made it a lot easier to deal with.

Save the extra cash to spend on your holiday grin

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Fri 18-Jul-08 11:23:17

lillypie Royal Brunei don't go via Singapore, do they?

PestoMonster Fri 18-Jul-08 14:27:34

Yes they do. I flew to Oz with Royal Brunei and flew LHR - Dubai, Dubai - Singapore, Singapore - Brunei (where we changed aircraft) and finally, Brunei down to Perth. A 26 hour flight in total. But it was fine because it was broken into manageable sectors.

Would also like to add that their food (if you picked the oriental option each time) was absolutely fab!!

brimfull Fri 18-Jul-08 14:34:46

have recently flown with royal brunei and emirates

both fine although we had delay with royal brunei

emirates in flight entertainment is better

brimfull Fri 18-Jul-08 14:35:28

Rb food was great I agree

Spagblog Fri 18-Jul-08 14:40:35

Emirates are fantastic. Last time I was booked to fly with Singapore Air the plane that turned up was British Airways. I was gutted!

chloeb2002 Fri 18-Jul-08 21:41:58

my mum just flwe over with emirates and loved it and she was very worried about her firstlong flight to aus! we have flewn mostly with singapore as i find them excellent with children, food is excellent service is second to none and just never had a problem when i have flewn with them.
also flown gulf air... NEVER again! dd threw up an landing at one stop, we had to re board the plane and she was expected to sit in the smae seat for a further 8 hours with a mear wipe over and a blanket. flight crew were swapping and crew leaving told me it wasnt there problem! blimey! food was average, and they insisted dd had to have a kids meal which i didnt request as they had extras! it was a burger she wouldnt eat and chocolate... so she ate my meal instead!
also flewn with air etihad. cheap and absolutley great. again as someone else mentioned three 7 hour flights which worked well with small people. flight crew great. dh enjoyed the food, i was pregnant and spent most the flight in the tiolet so didnt sample much but the crew did ensure i waas ok and helped me in bahrain to find the chemist and some pregnancy friendly medication for nausea! so would highly reccomend them.

eidsvold Fri 18-Jul-08 21:48:07

I haven't flown emirates but have flown singapore a number of times and loved it.

BUt friends have flown emirates and had no complaints.

georgiemama Fri 18-Jul-08 21:53:39

Emirates were fab. Flew Heathrow to Dubai to Perth over Christmas.

Had lovely sky cot for DS and got the bulkhead seats (had to, to clip skycot on) so right at front near loos and attentive stewardess. On other direction couldn't give us bulkhead seats due to accomodating disabled passengers so gave us a whole row of four seats.In flight entertainment cool - lots of films at cinema at time. Warmed up DS's jars and made up formula as requested. Also gave me a babypack of wipes, toy, nappies and cream for DS. Food was pretty good and lots of it (although mum said even more drinks and snacks on Singapore. Doubt £350 worth though).

copycat Sat 19-Jul-08 20:46:32

Thank you so much to you all for replying. I really appreciate hearing everyone's comments and experiences.

Sidge Sat 19-Jul-08 21:01:53

We flew Emirates last October from Gatwick to Perth via Dubai, with three children, and they were great. Good food, good entertainment system, clean aircraft and all on time. Free buggies at Dubai to use whilst transferring. The children got rucksacks with goodies in and their meals were nice too.

I am flying next month with Singapore from Heathrow (on the new A380, whoo-hoo!) but without the children this time, I'll let you know how they compare! (Probably be too late for you by then though).

I've flown with Emirates loads of times and think they're really good. They have a reputation for being the airline with the fewest late departures.

Food is good (for an airline), staff are friendly and helpful, you get your own TV with lots of channels/games (not sure if thats usual for all airlines), legroom seems good. You can book in online the day before you fly and change your seating online to one you prefer.

fanjolina Sat 19-Jul-08 21:20:27

Both are good airlines, but Emirates has the edge for me.

And as Gatwick is more convenient for you, and the flights are cheaper I'd definitely opt for Emirates.

kiwibella Sat 19-Jul-08 21:38:56

I have flown with both... and Singapore easily get the edge for. Their customer service was impeccable, especially with children and the route more direct. With Singapore we flew Heathrow - Singapore - Adelaide. With Emirates I flew Gatwick - Dubai - Singapore (refuel) - Brisbane. This aircraft was smaller and 'cosier' and without the modcons of watch-what-you-like telly which I put down to leaving from Gatwick instead of Heathrow. However, my daughter has flown unaccompanied to NZ with Emirates, from Heathrow, and loved it... even sitting in business class for part of the journey.

The difference is a lot of spending money... especially once converted in to $$!!

kjaysmum Sun 20-Jul-08 09:14:39

Thanks so much for this thread all, have just booked my mum and sister on emirates to fly over here to NZ...seems we made the right choice grin. I have only flown with singapore, Malaysia who were both great, oh and KLM who seemed to begrudge our presence and that of my 6 month old DS!!

Starmummy Sun 20-Jul-08 19:11:41

DS (age 12) loves Emirates and flies by himself with them regularly. They are seemingly always on time, he doesnt eat plane food with the exception of noodles on Singapore Airlines but thye always have soemthing for him, snacks etc. If you asked me or him we would say Emirates. He adores the ICE system. In Cabin Entertainment, have to say it probaly is the best of any airline IMHO.

NicMac Mon 28-Jul-08 17:47:08

Have to add that Ethihad are great too and quite reasonable at the moment. change at Abu Dhabi is very easy and staff are very attentive with children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now