Talk

Advanced search

Would someone translate something from English to Spanish for me?

(16 Posts)
Gobbledigook Tue 15-Jul-08 12:06:07

The boys are coming to the end of the academic year for their Spanish lessons and in their card I'd like them to write:

'Thank you for teaching us Spanish this year. We have enjoyed it and look forward to next year.' (I might just use the first part depending on how long it is).

They are doing brilliantly on their Spanish but are not at this level yet!

TIA!

Shitemum Tue 15-Jul-08 13:09:48

do you need this right now or can it wait till this evening?

Gobbledigook Tue 15-Jul-08 13:14:32

It can wait! Oooh, thank you! smile

Shitemum Tue 15-Jul-08 15:34:06

Hi, it's not that it's hard to translate, just that I had to get off MN and make lunch right that minute!

I have never found a satisfactory translation for 'look forward to', the closest is 'tener ganas de' which is quite a useful multifunctional phrase anyway. So you could say:

Gracias por enseñarnos Español este curso. Hemos disfrutado mucho y tenemos ganas de seguir el curso que viene.

(In Spain 'curso' is the academic school or university year, tho' it can also be used to mean 'a course').

Shitemum Tue 15-Jul-08 15:35:55

If you only use the first part (or even if you use both parts)you could put exclamation marks round it - an upside down one at the beginning and a 'normal' one at the end ¡thus!

PuppyMonkey Tue 15-Jul-08 15:38:55

Have you tried Babelfish?

www.babelfish.com

Gobbledigook Tue 15-Jul-08 16:38:44

Brill, thank you smile

Shitemum Tue 15-Jul-08 16:42:55

De nada smile

longwayfromhome Tue 15-Jul-08 18:35:26

yes, I haven't found a great way to translate "look forward to" either ... I usually use esperar, but tener ganas de would probably be better. Thanks.

Shitemum Tue 15-Jul-08 20:42:48

longway - whereabouts are you?

longwayfromhome Wed 16-Jul-08 00:17:53

Argentina. Where are you? Anywhere near this neck of the woods?

Parofleurmapu Wed 16-Jul-08 11:46:46

Hi I live in Spain and am bilingual so this is how i would translate it, Hope it helps!!

Gracias por enseñarnos español este año. Hemos disfrutado de ello y esperamos con ganas la llegada el año próximo.

Figfingers Wed 16-Jul-08 14:31:13

Most impressed with all these bilingual mumsnetters...

Whereabouts in Spain are you Shitemum?

I am in Spain too, after 7 years in London (Spanish id my mother though but I am not from Spain).

Fig

Figfingers Wed 16-Jul-08 14:32:55

I meant to say Spanish is my mother tongue, though I am not from Spain.

Shitemum Thu 17-Jul-08 20:21:52

longway - I am in Spain (Granada) tho' DP is from Lima and I have been there 3 times. Once spent a few skint days in Argentina a very long time ago...

Parofleurmapu - whereabouts are you?

Figfingers - and you?

Parofleurmapu Fri 18-Jul-08 22:51:51

Hiya Im in Gran Canaria now but lived in Valencia too in the past

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now