Talk

Advanced search

Do children play football in New Zealand?

(15 Posts)
Elf Mon 14-Jul-08 14:22:09

I know rugby is the national sport but do the kids play football too?

What is the feeling towards football?
Just preparing myself and DS.

That's it really, Thank you.

justRia Mon 14-Jul-08 20:33:58

My BIL plays and trains a team, Dnephew plays too, all the time, maybe not quite every day but almost.

HTH

Elf Wed 16-Jul-08 20:12:49

Thanks justRia.

Bumping for the New Zealanders when they wake up.

kiwibella Sun 20-Jul-08 14:47:19

yes... it's called soccer! I haven't lived in NZ for a few years but used to teach at intermediate school (year 7 & 8). I was surprised by the number of children coming through who played soccer on a Saturday morning. I think that a lot of children learn the skills of soccer before moving on to the rough-and-tough game of rugby.

Elf Mon 21-Jul-08 15:29:13

Oh that's great. Sounds from both of you that it is quite normal. I was a bit worried about my little darling playing rugby, he's only little. A bit of football to get started would be great. Thanks to both of you.

Papillon Mon 21-Jul-08 20:47:18

lol

nah we play soccer round these parts mate

although apparentely there is the beginnings of a trend to call it football hmm

Mercy Mon 21-Jul-08 20:56:15

My dh was never interested in playing rugby and was captain of his school football team.

justaboutagrownup Mon 21-Jul-08 20:58:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kiwibella Mon 21-Jul-08 21:57:24

grin at your dh, justabout!!

justaboutagrownup Tue 22-Jul-08 09:27:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elf Tue 22-Jul-08 10:39:49

Oh, I"m glad there is more evidence. Thanks for the latest posts.

Justbout - grin

SSSandy2 Tue 22-Jul-08 11:05:51

Things must have changed, when I was there (a very long time ago mind) football was for "poofters" or maybe for girls. As far as I can recall, for the most part girls played netball and boys rugby and cricket. Don't think I knew anyone at all who played football.

SSSandy2 Tue 22-Jul-08 11:06:29

which is good elf because it means he'd get into one of the top teams

MrsJohnCusack Tue 22-Jul-08 11:19:01

i went to a 3rd birthday party on Sunday and 3 older male cousins turned up having just been to football - they were mad keen on it and so was their father. As it happens, I asked him about it and he said it was getting really popular AND most of the participants are now calling it football.

so never fear!

Elf Tue 22-Jul-08 19:37:09

Well well well. I'm so glad I asked. I hadn't realised and am very pleased with your information. Mrsjohncusack how kind of you to have been to this party so you could tell me your insider knowledge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now