Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in Zurich???

(7 Posts)
beforesunrise Thu 03-Jul-08 17:09:00

dh has an interview there on monday... we have been thinking of leaving london for a while now, and singled out switzerland as the best work/life compromise. i have loooooads of questions though so if anyone lives there can you please shout?/?

thanks!

LIZS Thu 03-Jul-08 17:11:49

Used to. Leogaela is somewhere nearby if she's still posting . This group is a good source of local info.

Bettymamma Thu 17-Jul-08 11:14:30

Hi beforesunrise. Did dh get the job? We're moving to Zurich in October from London with dd's 3 and 6 months. Let me know if you're going! And I shall keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone else is out there grin

Newb Wed 20-Aug-08 14:30:13

Hi Both

I've been here for 18 months, after 8 years in London. No DC's yet - work in progress but we love it here and don't want to be anywhere else to bring up our family. Happy to answer your questions, I have a couple of English friends with babies who can answer your questions as well I'm sure.

Zürich is wonderful, I shall take you out for coffee when you get here if you like (have become v sociable by necessity as an expat....) and tell you more about it...

CSLG Mon 25-Aug-08 15:51:37

Hi

I live in Zurich with my 2 kids (age 3.5 and 2) - we love it. We originally came for 18months but have been here for 2.5 years and have no plans to come back to the UK.

Newb - where do you live then?

Newb Wed 10-Sep-08 21:43:47

Sorry been on hols for a couple of weeks. In Oerlikon near Max Bill Platz, but thinking about moving out to Thalwil. You?

Leoloopydoo Tue 16-Sep-08 15:26:17

Hi, I'm just outside Zurich.
I came here 8 years ago single and childless and now have 3dcs and a (swiss) husband. I'm still working (60%) but from November will be a SAHM.

I love it here, if you want to be an ex-pat there is a huge ex-pat community. Its a little more difficult to get integrated into the Swiss thing though, but that depends very much on you. I have a good mix of Swiss and non-swiss friends.

It takes 3 hours to get to italy. 1 hour to go skiing. You have clean, fresh water lakes for the summer right on your doorstep. There is a city life if you want it (although none of the big museums or the same level of entertainment as in London). And almost everyone speaks English (which does make it difficult to learn German). They are concerned about work-life balance (but standard working week is 42 hours) and generally very polite, kind people!

Quality of life is very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now