Consulate requiring someone in person to collect original documents, but I can’t go

(5 Posts)
Hellokittymania Wed 15-Jan-20 01:59:22

Sorry, I’m using dictation so I hope everyone can understand me. To be brief, I have special needs and I’m in London. The French Consulate in Miami has my documents because my mother lives in Orlando… My mother has asked the consulate if she can go in my place to pick up my documents, does anyone have any idea if this will work and if so, how we can get the authorization?

She had sent an envelope with the return address to the consulate, hoping they could send me the papers, but they cannot.

OP’s posts: |
endofthelinefinally Wed 15-Jan-20 02:19:07

I don't know the answer, but could you contact the equivalent consulate/ embassy in London and ask their advice?

Peridot1 Wed 15-Jan-20 05:18:07

I think you can sign an authorisation for your mother to collect. You would probably have to have it notarised by a solicitor.

I seem to remember DH had to something similar in Thailand years ago, signed an affidavit for an office driver to pick up I think.

TanteRose Wed 15-Jan-20 05:27:39

Hi Kitty

I found something on line which has the following text, and then it lists the authorised person's name, date of birth, their passport number and their relationship to the applicant. Finally it notes the applicant's details (name, passport number and their signature)

Power of Attorney
Letter of Authorization

I, XXXX, understand that I am formally required to collect my passport in person at the embassy of Japan.
However, it is impossible for me to appear in person due to an important reason.
I hereby authorize the following person as my deputy to collect my passport including visa at the embassy of Japan in Berne.

Hellokittymania Wed 15-Jan-20 06:12:46

All right, thank you.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in